Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Brand Loyalty

276 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All of which is trying to say: I love my Hamers. There are 4-5 I can never bear to let go. But once I get beyond those 4 or 5 or 6, I end up with redundant guitars which would take the place of other cool guitars that are different than anything Hamer does.

So count me as someone who is semi-loyal to Hamer.

The reason I stopped at 4 (all different sounding) with only 1 max. 2 sound types I am missing (not really, just GASing).

1. Brian May type

2. Strat type if its really different sounding to the MIK Standard configuration I've made myself. Possibly adding a middle pickup routing to the MIK Standard some time in the future.

I've learned that it is good to have a sound change one or the other week as it seems that my ears are getting nump listening one and the same sound every day. Anytime I change guitars after weeks or a month, I discover it like a new guitar. That's fun and motivating.

Hamer? Great looking, excellent sounding, perfectly crafted, enough brand mojo, extraordinary fan club community,... I don't expect getting it better. Possibly even. Which would be no reason to change.

Finally, I've got more to learn on the playing side than another guitar of another brand could give to me.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently own 2 guitars, an Ibanez 440R (think of a Joe Satriani body shape, but with S-S-H config), which was my first guitar and my Studio Custom Ltd. Redwood.

When I first started playing, I bought the Ibanez because it seemed like a good guitar price-quality wise and I liked the body shape. Then, being the gearnut that I am, I started browsing different brands and I stumbled upon Hamer and immediately fell in love with the Studio body shape.

I don't think I'll buy an import guitar any time soon. Perhaps I'm a bit of a snob, but I really love the idea of owning a hand made guitar.

Seeing the prices second hand Hamers are going, odds are quite high that I'll end up buying more over time, but for now, being a student, my Studio Custom has taken up a nice chunk of budget, so it would really have to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity before I splurge again (or the price would have to be ridiculously low).

I currently have six guitars and only recently discovered Hamer. To cut a long story short I did a straight trade on a Gibson LP Standard 2007 for a Hamer Talladega Custom. Ist time in my life I feel that I really won out on a deal. Owned and played Gibson, Tom Anderson, Fender Custom Shop and Gretsch Pro series. The Hamer is without any doubt the best guitar in quality that I have ever owned. My main go to guitar before I got the Hamer was my Duesenberg which I am now interested in trading in for a Monaco 111.

Oh and I have no brand loyalty whatsoever but the low pricing on used USA Hamer's makes them irresistible. Like someone has said bad for sellers but great for buyers. It does beg the question why does such a high quality guitar take such a hammering on its used value? Not complaining as I am looking for another one but I can only assume that the brand name is almost unknown to many and certainly not helped by the cheaper far east versions. No not being a snob but perhaps the brand Hamer is more widely associated with guitars made in the far east rather than those being made in the USA.

If anyone in Europe has a Monaco 111 or knows someone who has one who would like to do a trade for a mint Duesenberg TV Starplayer Outlaw then please PM me.

Outlaw19.jpg

For me, the pendulum is swinging back to Hamer.

Here's how it developed:

- I got to actually play the Centaura Deluxe blueburst after getting back from my deployment.

- Then I started playing all the Hamer USAs to see which ones I would sell, and to get some recent playing experience to be able to describe them better. I was bound and determined to sell at least 3, maybe 5, and 3 of my imports at the same time. There was such a marked difference between the USAs and the Hamer and non-Hamer Imports...honestly, I think it was hearing the extra sparkle/energy in the Centaura's EMGs that made it clear the Hamer USAs were so much closer to that sparkle/energy than any of the imports.

- Having a chance to get a Cali Elite, and after playing it and finding out that, yes, it was worth the extra money for it.

Well, these are making me recognize that only Hamer USA will do, with some exceptions (Peavey Vandenberg and a Yamaha SD120 being worth keeping, too).

So who knows how I'll feel next year?

So who knows how I'll feel next year?

We will know in a few weeks right? :lol:

I love Hamer guitars, but I think everyone realizes that there are other nice guitars out there. It's tough to stick with one exclusive brand.

Right now, I have 3 Hamer USA models........a Standard, and two Studio's.

I also have a Fender Japanese made Telecaster which I love and a very nice Fender Ash 60th Anniversary Strat.

I love Hamer guitars, but I think everyone realizes that there are other nice guitars out there. It's tough to stick with one exclusive brand.

I also have a Fender Japanese made Telecaster which I love and a very nice Fender Ash 60th Anniversary Strat.

True. I don't stick w/ one exclusive brand. I love my Peavey Vandenberg and won't sell it, and I really love my Jon Kammerer guitar and will probably purchase more in the future.

But I only have Hamer on a saved search at eBay. I don't hang out on any other gear bbs. And I'm constantly thinking/planning for other Hamer USA guitars I want to buy. I won't turn my nose up at any other good/decent guitar I run across at a good price, but Hamer is like my go-to brand.

That's still brand loyalty, right?

• 1 year later...

True. I don't stick w/ one exclusive brand. I love my Peavey Vandenberg and won't sell it, and I really love my Jon Kammerer guitar and will probably purchase more in the future.

But I only have Hamer on a saved search at eBay. I don't hang out on any other gear bbs. And I'm constantly thinking/planning for other Hamer USA guitars I want to buy. I won't turn my nose up at any other good/decent guitar I run across at a good price, but Hamer is like my go-to brand.

That's still brand loyalty, right?

Absolutely. :D

There are only two guitars I even think about these days, Hamer USA Calis and Charvel/Jackson USA Stars. Of the two, I search for Calis more actively. Maybe because they stopped making them in the 90's (until recently) thus there are fewer of them around but that's my holy grail quest, first and foremost.

I'm about 1/2 Hamer at the moment out of 36-40 instruments.

I have other brands because when I want a Les Paul, it has to be a Gibson. When I want a Tele (or more recently) a Strat, it has to be a Fender.

I've only owned a few non-USA guitars:

-75 Ibanez Destroyer

-78 Ibanez IC-210 (3 coil Iceman)

-79 Ibanez Iceman (the only non-USA I still have)

-86 Tokai AST-62

-80s Fender Japan blue flower Tele

-00's Fender Japan 62 RI Strat

I'm under the impression that the real reason we're here is because we've created bonds stronger than Hamer guitars.

I've got no GAS so far, all my guitars are Hamer, and quite probably (hopefully) my next one would be a Hamer again.

I'm loyal, but i do sleep around a bit. I have full faith that ANY model out of the conneticut factory will be as nearly perfectly executed as Any guitar out there. each model is well targeted and makes a lotta sence. in the last year or so, i've been discovering the excellence of the Newport line. Truly exceptional instruments.

Wow...........I'm thinking that guitar is way cool. Hamer should take a good look at that....................

I think I've played the .5 part if he's talking about his mini standard. ;) If not? :ph34r:

I'm thinking that should be more like 22.75 Hamers...

:)

:o:):)

The .5 is the Hamer USA Daytona neck on my Mighty Hamer Daytona Mite. Late 70s Mighty Mite(Wayne Charvel) Explorer body mated with a Daytona neck. Love!

mhdm12.jpg

I've got 3 Hamer's:

1 Standard

2 Studio's.

I've got 4 Fender's:

2 customized MIM Strats

1 MIM Tele

1 MIJ Tele

At one time, I had 6 Hamer's, but sold the 3 when I downsized my collection several years ago. For quite a while, I only had the 3 Hamer guitars, but suddenly got hooked on Fender guitars.

post-1120-0-09236400-1322263812_thumb.jp

My first electric guitar was a ~ 1985 Peavey Patriot with the amp in the case. In 1994 I sold the Patriot and I was looking for a Fender Strat Plus. By accident I wondered into a music store and the Salesman introduced me to a Hamer Daytona ash body with tweed case for $589. I played it and thought it was awesome but for some reason I had to have the Strat Plus which a bought a few months later for $999. If I could go back in time I would have bought that Daytona. In 2001 I'm on eBay and somehow I came across an Artist. After watching them on eBay for 6 months I bought one. The Artist is my favorite sounding guitar. The Studio is fun to play but it's just there. I like playing a Strat or Tele live because of the comfort and feel. Had I known about Hamer in the early 90's what I know now I'd own 1 of every model and it would make up the majority of my guitars. What I like about Hamer is the wood quality. Go on EBay and look at your average Gibson and then look at a Hamer. The wood grain on Hamer's is beautiful. That said looks and sound are two different things. My friend bought a beat up LP Studio he paid $400 10 years ago. This $400 LP is the best sounding LP I've ever played. In the future if the price is right I’ll buy any Hamer model I don’t already own just for collections sake.

Ovation 1987 Collectors

Ovation Legend

Yamaha Dreadnaught

Fender 1993 USA Strat Plus Deluxe

Fender 2001 USA Texas Special

Fender 2004 American Ash Tele

Fender 2008 American Custum Fat Strat

Hamer 1996 Artist

Hamer 2006 Artist

Hamer 2006 Studio

But I am curious what everyone else's thoughts/feelings are. Here are some of the questions I have. Answer any/all/none at your whim.

If you like Hamer enough to be a member of this board, why do you have other non-Hamer guitars? (I know why I do, but I want to know why *you* do)

Because I like the way they sound and feel. Coincidentally I've owned all of them since before my first Hamer (just this summer thanks to Caddie), so it's unclear if the next guitar I get will be a Hamer or not.

Do you want more Hamer USAs?

Hell yeah.

Do you only buy them when the price is irresistable?

Yep.

Do you only want certain types of Hamers?

Yes, but it's pretty broad. There are a few of the odd shaped ones that don't do much for me, but I could do the Daytonas, the superstrats, artists, specials... I have a Studio now. I would probably do a standard, but somehow the Monaco doesn't do much for me.

All specs being equal, does the name "Hamer USA" on a guitar make you more likely to buy it? All specs being equal, does *not* having the name "Hamer USA" make you less like to buy a specific guitar?

Yes and no.

What would make you restrict your collecting to only Hamers? Is that even possible?

What could make you willing to restrict yourself to playing only Hamers? Is that even possible?

Do you consider yourself a Hamer collector more than a guitar collector or vice versa?

Do you consider yourself a guitarist more than a guitar collector?

Nothing I can think of, nothing, neither, guitarist.

Would you say that a Hamer USA is a necessary part of a professional/serious guitarist's guitar stable? If so, which one(s)?

Nope. They'd be missing out on some serious quality, but plenty of successful musicians have survived without them.

Would you say that a professional/serious guitarist should stick to one brand? Why or why not?

Not unless they signed a contract. In that case I think it was dumb of them to do that, but the "right thing" would be not to violate it. ;)

Sounds like you're a big fan. :)

I guess another good way to sum up would be to say that none of these guitars set me back as much as a grand. AND I love alla them. I feel good about pulling the trigger when i've found something affordable of really high quality. So, not real often...

Only the 'burst Diablo was store-bought new. Used Hamers are often screaming bargains and allow one to take a stand against deforestation...talking about Cort and Samick.

DSCF1216.jpg

• 2 months later...

'80 Standard.

'78 Sunburst.

'92 Sunburst W/Floyd.

'78 B.C. Rich Mockingbird.

'80 Gibson Les Paul Heritage 80 Standard/Elite (not sure what to call it as it has a One Piece neck (Elite) but a Flame top (Standard).

'80's Fender Strat Plus.

Washburn EC29. (Not sure how old it is as the S/N is difficult to read)

Fender MIJ (I think) Squire Strat.

Gurian S2M Acoustic.

Gurian J-R Acoustic.

Framus Archtop from the 60's. (My best Buy, £15.00 from a S/H shop, £50.00 to get the top fixed).

Hamer is the only manufacturer I have more than One of.

If funds allowed I would have more of everything but Hamers are such a bargain (considering the quality) compared to other manufacturers.

All the Gibsons and Fenders I have the hots for are now way out of my price range even most of the Re-issues.

My next purchase will be another Hamer and am looking for a 70's B&C Standard.

"Hi, I'm a Hamerholic and my name is Rich".

StuTDavis Frankencali Hellifornian - Chap necked USA with "Alien" graphics by Stu and sealed in by GMW, alien head inlays by GMW

Chapparal Elite with Boomers - no finish.

Diablo - nonreverse headstock and birdseye neck.

Chapparal Bass - black with cream binding - got it from hamstd

MIK Daytona - nice one.

Other stuff

1987 ESP Phoenix

1996 ESP Eclipse custom shop

I don't play anything but real ESP and HAMERs.

morningstar

Archived