Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

We have talked a lot about Brian May lately, so yesterday night I watched the DVD "Queen - An Evening At The Concert Hall", which just came out but it's from 1977 (visibly a transfer from old tapes).

The image quality is pretty bad, but the sound is OK and it's anyway great to see them rocking in their heydays. Brian May is definitively a Guitar god. :)

PS: A link to the DVD in Amazon (I got it for 14.99 + taxes at the local HMV store): http://www.amazon.com/Queen-Evening-The-Concert-Hall/dp/B007K0PSZ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343125692&sr=8-1&keywords=queen+an+evening+at+the+concert+hall

"39" & "roadie" from the new tenacious D,

and some songs we're working up in wizard sleeves;

"still of the night", "sex type thing", "let it go", "dancing days", "hash pipe".

also just got deluxe edition of "ace of spades", and CCR's "pendulum".

Edited by Brooks
  • Like 2

The 60's were just begging to be played when I was working around the house, so I dug up some "Best Of / Greatest Hits" cd's, and came up with

Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, and Sergio Mendes & Brazil '66 - great jazzy pop.

• Like 1

The 60's were just begging to be played when I was working around the house, so I dug up some "Best Of / Greatest Hits" cd's, and came up with

Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, and Sergio Mendes & Brazil '66 - great jazzy pop.

A&M always had great sound quality too. Trivia question: Who built Sergio Mendes's personal studio in his back yard?

Trivia question: Who built Sergio Mendes's personal studio in his back yard?

Mexican illegals?

Not even close. Here's another hint: He's long been a bankable star and accomplished helicopter pilot.

Mexican illegals?

Not even close. Here's another hint: He's long been a bankable star and accomplished helicopter pilot.

This is going to sound crazy .. but: Kris Kristofferson?

• Like 1

Always a good time for Supersickers, although I've been compiling a playlist of stuff from 1979 (the best year in music) for a project...

Cheap Trick and Rainbow along with an assload of other great stuff from that year.

• Like 2

Mexican illegals?

This is going to sound crazy .. but: Kris Kristofferson?

This one took up 'coptering after he got rich. He's also a much bigger screen star than Kristofferson. You could almost consider him a Gable or John Wayne to (not from) our generation.

Edited by JohnnyB

Bigger than Kristofferson? Is that possible?

He's 1-1/2 inches taller than Kristofferson. :lol: Plus, he's been a bankable lead spanning four decades. He was the lead in 4 movies of of the top 20 US grossing films of all time, adjusted for inflation.

Also back on topic, I just spun side 1 of Tom Waits' Nighthawks at the Diner.

Edited by JohnnyB

He's 1-1/2 inches taller than Kristofferson. :lol: Plus, he's been a bankable lead spanning four decades. He was the lead in 4 movies of of the top 20 US grossing films of all time, adjusted for inflation.

I'm going with Harrison Ford, but then i'm wondering why he didn't fly the huey himself in clear and present danger...

• Like 1

I'm going with Harrison Ford, but then i'm wondering why he didn't fly the huey himself in clear and present danger...

You're right. It's Harrison Ford. When he first got to Hollywood, he earned enough from a smattering of TV roles to buy a fixer-upper house around Hollywood, Burbank or something. Then the parts started drying up and he couldn't afford to hire a carpenter to remodel his house, so checked out library books to learn how, and got good enough at it to consider becoming a professional carpenter. He'd made some good contacts among Hollywood types who started recommending him to do various remodeling gigs for various actors, agents, producers, etc. Then came the opportunity to build a studio from the ground up in Sergio Mendes's back yard. The total bill came to $150,000 in early '70s dollars (about $750,000 today). At that point he really started thinking of going pro. Then he got the part in American Graffiti, but that still didn't establish him as a go-to actor. George Lucas didn't like using the same guy in two films in a row and actually brought Ford in to read opposite people trying out for Star Wars. Eventually Lucas decided Ford would do a better job than the tryouts so he gave him the part and that established him for good.

For all that, Ford's two favorite film roles are the ones where he used his carpentry skills--in Witness for the barn raising and Mosquito Coast.

Clear and Present Danger came out in 1994. Ford didn't get his private pilot's license until 1996.

Edited by JohnnyB

After "L'Enfant Sauvage", I'm sunk into Gojira over-consumption. Woke up listening to their first album, "Terra Incognita":

Gojira_terra_incognita.jpg

I've been on a huge Tool kick lately. Can anyone suggest any similar bands - with the same type of art, anger and musical proficiency?

No, Man. Tool is Tool. There is no other. However, the lead singer of Ear Shot sounds similar to Maynard. I thought I could get into them but they came up lame for me. Look them up on youtube before you buy. Bands I go on binges for are Stabbing Westward (their first few albums). Very angry. Deftones, angry and whimsical at the same time. KoRn, of course. And NIN. If you like their artwork then you will like Alex Gray. Look up his images.

As for what's spinnin' here; Lately I've been listening to Dire Straits while working and alterbridge in the car.