Hamer Fan Club Message Center

WOW!!

bruce919

Nice FLAMES. But it shoulda been bound!

I don't like colored fretboards. Looks

very 80's. Don't remember which brand

sold really cheap guitars with fretboards

like this in the 80's. Aouch.

silent, they have already said they would do it for me. make sure the body is 2 sold pieces or it will twist (as per Jol.) I can still find find Franks prices with solid flame maple wings if you are really going to do it. steve

That's all I was doing was thinking, Steve. Forward me the quote, I could use a laugh.

I don't like colored fretboards. Looks

very 80's. Don't remember which brand

sold really cheap guitars with fretboards

like this in the 80's. Aouch.

I had a red Series 10 in the 80's. Red super strat plywood guitar. Fretboard was red. JUUUUUNK! But hey a girlfirend bought it for me and my G&L was too ugly to play in a metal band. ;)

JackC...you IS darn right!

Was my favourite, too

JJ

Me likey but colored fretboards dont wear very well. 
The main challenge was to deep-stain the fingerboard to resist wearing through while still

matching the color of the guitar.  -Jol Danzig

Anyway, I like it. I think its subtle, binding and a flamed headstock would have detracted from the whole packing in my opinion.

Count me in with the "Where's the flamed headstock?" crowd. That was my first impression. Then I read the text along with the pictures. I don't know about y'all, but that Willcutt dream about a flaming guitar sounds like BS. When I dream, I dream about going to school nekkid, getting in fights, flying like a bird, and other wierd crap. And what's with the bragging about the mahogany matching on the neck and body? If it matched, I wouldn't be able to see where the two meet so easily.

Earl Slick was the first player of note to have a red fretboard, IIRC. Fernandes has a few out now as well, one that is a signature model of a Japanese player, featuring a black cat 12th fret inlay. Many high end makers won't use such highly figured neck wood, as it has been deemed too unstable.

Archived