Hamer Fan Club Message Center

GCS, Henry's cleaning house.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/12/2017 at 2:25 PM, Studio Custom said:

Hamer USA produced something like 10 total guitars in their final 5 years of existence no? 

On 6/13/2017 at 6:57 AM, kizanski said:

They actually made these?  What demo were they trying to reach?

That thing just screams Gumby:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=i'm+gumby+dammit&&view=detail&mid=0A63444903892E03AB830A63444903892E03AB83&FORM=VRDGAR

On 6/19/2017 at 7:57 AM, The Shark said:

Don't know if I've told this story here before, but it's worth revisiting. 

I got free tickets from a Manager buddy at the Hard Rock Café for a Bad Company reunion pay-per view in Orlando.  Two seats in the second row right in front of Paul.  I think Pat Travers opened for them and, as is customary, I had to hit the head during the intermission.  The meet and greet was going on with Bad Company, so I was in a hurry.  I'm standing at the midget shower relieving myself and this guy comes uncomfortably close to me and says, "Hey, that's my shirt!".  I preceded to turn away from the onlooker and pack things up.  I said, "What do you mean?"  He said, "I'm Henry Jusk-a-whatever and I designed that shirt (it was the first generation Gibson Historic in denim)".  He stuck his hand out to shake mine and I put my finger up and said, "I better wash my hands first, Henry".  He went on to tell me how he was involved in every aspect of Gibson's turn around. I thought to myself then, this is a weird dude.  To this day, I'm not sure he wasn't looking at my junk.  We never did shake hands. 

Then, when I went back to our seats after the meet and greet, he was two seats left of me in the front row.  He kept turning around smiling the entire show.  Every time I wore that shirt, there was some level of creepiness that came over me.  I guess he's a personable guy, but his social skills left something to be desired.

Ralphs played a Historic made to look like his original burst for one song.  The tech walked out to grab it from Mick right after the song ended, so I think it was a contractual deal as I saw it for sale in Vintage Guitar not long after that for crazy money.

That story reminded me........Back at the 1992 (?? or close) NAMM Show in Anaheim, CA, I was there working the first morning as the TV reporter for NAMM-TV.  We had just walked into the convention center, so it was probably like 8:30 a.m. and immediately caught wind of something crazy going on. After about a minute, I confirmed what was going on, with a few guys running by and ither laughing. One of the other guitar companies had printed up hundreds of B&W head shots of Henry Juskewiecz, maybe 3x5 inch size.  They had placed them in EVERY urinal in the convention hall for the industry to piss on. As word was getting out, more people were running to the mens room to get their shot. (Henry was close to the top of the list of unpopular MI industry guys.) I guess word of the situation flew fast because guys in Gibson shirts were then running around the convention hall, like madmen, trying to grab all the headshots out of the urinals. Since Gibson does not make rubber gloves, their crew was left grabbing piss covered Henry photos, that they brought back to the Gibson booth, to be sure no one could grab them from other garbage cans to put back into urinals. It was pretty funny. We ran into the closest men's room to get it all on camera. I fished out the only mostly dry copy of a Henry photo al tossed it in a plastic bag I had. It had a minor piss stain but I needed proof, in case I ran it on TV or in the magazine I was editor for.  My boss/publisher ended up cutting a deal with Gibson for some TV ads, for us not to run the story on the days convention coverage. When I got back to NY the following week, I called my bud at Gibson marketing and jokingly asked if he could send me a new headshot of Henry for my Winter NAMM wrap-up because "the one I have is all covered in piss stains."  After a bit of silence on the phone he said, "Oh man...I thought we destroyed them all before the press got them."  But I didn't run the photo because he begged me not to. But I still have it in a box somewhere with other NAMM oddities.

Two days ago, I pull into the local Taxo Belle to get some dinner. As I pull in, I see my friend's roofing pickup truck, backed into a parking spot. As I get out, I see him standing behind his truck. I yell, "Not pissing in the parking lot....right?"  He yells, "I would never do something so classless," as I see a stream trickling out from under his truck. He comes walking over and says, "How ya been man?" and extends his hand to shake mine. I looked at his hand and just said, "I don't think so....I have to eat."  He was half drunk and got all insulted that I wouldn't shake his piss hand. He's more a friend of my GF's. So when I got home with the bag of Taxo Belle, at least I had a good story to tell her. "I JUST ran i to Rocco.........."

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:07 PM, scottcald said:

I like how he says he had a day job - like he was struggling with his degree from Harvard Business School for 10 years.   

People from Harvard like to wax-poetic of how they 'came from the streets' and pulled themselves up by their boot-straps and all that clap-trap.  There are no unemployed, underpaid Harvard grads.....

26 minutes ago, Never2Late said:

People from Harvard like to wax-poetic of how they 'came from the streets' and pulled themselves up by their boot-straps and all that clap-trap.  There are no unemployed, underpaid Harvard grads.....

In fairness to the tweed jacket cult of Hah-vahd Square, Harvard College (undergraduate) is built partly upon the mantle of increased access to lower SES students.
Even the better-known HU graduate schools (HBS, Harvard Law, etc.) offer a number of admissions in each cohort to the lesser endowed, although these professional schools are certainly disproportionately composed of wealthier students. Now, once the students graduate...it's reasonable to expect that they will entertain multiple job offers, each providing generous salary/comp packages. 

52 minutes ago, Never2Late said:

When I was in middle school, our guidance counselor was a Harvard graduate.  He often complained that part of his job required him wipe retard kids' asses when the nurse was busy. 

1 hour ago, Studio Custom said:

When I was in middle school, our guidance counselor was a Harvard graduate.  He often complained that part of his job required him wipe retard kids' asses when the nurse was busy. 

He could always quit and find a job at an exclusive private school where all the kids had private ass wipers. 

13 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

You had a guidance counselor in MIDDLE SCHOOL? 

Didn't know it took an Ivy degree to say, 40 times every day,   "...and you, Mary Beth, should consider high school as your next step!"  

Or was there a cannery or Nike shoe factory in the town you grew up in?

The town I live in now has guidance counselors beginning in kindergarten.  We have five elementary schools, the one from my son's school, this is going back five years, was earning $110,000 a year.  The Superintendent makes more than the Governor and almost as much as the POTUS.  

On 6/19/2017 at 9:38 AM, kizanski said:

yeah, Potsie Weber looked more experienced with a guitar in his hands.

Well, he could really take over the room when he was lead vocalist.

On 6/19/2017 at 9:38 AM, kizanski said:

yeah, Potsie Weber looked more experienced with a guitar in his hands.

Well, he could really take over the room when he was lead vocalist.

giphy.gif

On 2017-06-18 at 10:51 AM, mc2 said:

I think he spent his summers smoking doobies up along Lake Ontario.

That's what I do, just on the "good" side 😜.

Does that mean that I too can play like Henry?

1 hour ago, scottcald said:

I sure hope not.  :lol:

Just imagine...a full length album featuring the combined talents of Henry Juskewiecz and Henry Kaiser. They might call themselves Henry2 (squared). What a shit sandwich that would be! 

2 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

Just imagine...a full length album featuring the combined talents of Henry Juskewiecz and Henry Kaiser. They might call themselves Henry2 (squared). What a shit sandwich that would be! 

Jeez, that would make me beg to listen to Joanie and Chachi.  

On 6/20/2017 at 10:30 AM, Biz Prof said:

the lesser endowed

Incidentally (and off-topic), that was my screen name back in my "adult" movie days.  Had to pay for college somehow.  ;)

Biggest change at Gibson?  They added dental care to their med benefits plan.....sorry, that was mean

On 6/15/2017 at 10:28 PM, cmatthes said:

That was about as painful to watch as those gawdawful Brentocks demo videos.

(Except his weren't parody videos!)

That is the first thought I had!  I used to watch Brent's videos and think "At least there's one guitarist on Earth I know I can play better than."  Now there's two!  I'll never forget the Brent video where he played She's Tight and bragged about how he learned it in a few hours.  It would take any average guitarist about 10 minutes to learn and he got half of it wrong!

On 6/18/2017 at 1:27 PM, JohnnyB said:

He's the embodiment of what it sounds like to walk into a Guitar Center on a bad  any average day.

Fixed it for you.

On 6/20/2017 at 10:08 PM, Biz Prof said:

4 hours ago, FrettyMcgee said:

Speaking of dental plan, Henry kinda reminds me of a incompetent version of this guy:

web_cast_davidthewlis_fargo_570x698.jpg?

That is one scary dude, from one of my favorite TV shows at the moment along with Better Call Saul.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:40 AM, Never2Late said:

My old Harvard roommate is a stay-at-home dad. Does that count?

2 hours ago, tommy p said:

On 6/18/2017 at 10:27 AM,  JohnnyB said: 

He's the embodiment of what it sounds like to walk into a Guitar Center on a bad  any average day.

Fixed it for you.

No you didn't. I said what I meant--Henry sounds much worse than the average meedly-meedly noodlers at a GC.

Has anyone here yet figured out how he got such a god-awful tone out of a Les Paul? It's as if he was intentionally trying to take Randy Bachman's tone from American Woman and make it exponentially worse.

Archived