Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Any Jazzmaster fans here?

Pieman

After seeing some Beach Boys footage, I watched a number of Jazzmaster YouTube videos in the past couple weeks.  The  best of the bunch was the one below.

interested in your thoughts on the separate rhythm circuit, the one meg pots and the trem.  And anything else you wish to comment on.

Thanks in advance.

Love the shape. But I’ve never played one so I can’t comment on any of the things you’re asking about…

I've heard that the Squire Jazzmaster is a really great guitar. Haven't tried one yet, but I really like the Seafoam with Maple neck model. I'm going to own one soon!

They’re great as long as you like some if their characteristics. I don’t like the rhythm circuit: it’s a solution in search of a problem. And the pickups are not powerful enough for high gain stuff unless you choose some real devastating pedals.

But the shape is comfortable, the pickups (depending on model) give loads of flexibility,  and the vibrato is a joy. My AV65 Jazzmaster always returned to pitch, was great for anything short of hair-metal dives, and the location of the vibrato arm is very natural. However, a Mustang or Staytrem or Mastery bridge works better than the classic Jazzmaster unit, as the latter can rattle or even move. Try the American Professional Jazzmaster : it has sensible switching and bridge, but retains the proper vibrato unit so you get all the chimey overtones. 

I love the offset look and feel, but I have zero use for anything else on a JM. Every feature it possesses compared to its predecessor feature on the Tele or the Strat appears to be change for change's sake, to host Leo's latest round of R&D "innovations" and to give Fender's sales and marketing team something new to sell and promote.

The most common "fix" I make on clients' JMs is shimming necks to change the pitch relative to the body, to get the TOM-like bridge up in the air more in the final setup, and subsequently improve the strings' downforce at that point. In stock form, the JM's lack of string downforce on the bridge mixed with excessive string length behind it mean heavy right hands will bounce the strings out of their respective saddles. On a related note, I'm a big fan of the Mastery replacement hardwares for JM - pricey but very nicey.

I'm doing my first shop offsets as soon as I can find time. They absolutely will not have the child's bike's kickstand tremolo, or the overly-complex switching system and bridges that foster proper downforce. The red one will be a hardtail HH, the blue one will be a hardtail P-90 duet, and the pink one will have a direct-mounted soapbar hidden under a JM cap. And a Bigsby.

20230317_145351 - Copy.jpg

41 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

I agree with everything you wrote, but I'm distracted by your failure to arrange those guitars as red, while, blue.  

Why do you hate America? 

I fooled with my brother's & kina liked it. but yeah, the rhythm circuit is too dark. it has to do with the way they are wired. been a while since I looked at it but the front pickup signal goes into the tone pot before the V pot in an odd way.  we've been talking about re-wiring it to a more normal configuration some day.... its on the list

I’ve got a ‘64 Jazzmaster that was an ugly basket case when I got it - Stike worked some magic on it and it was a fun one to gig with and just play around the house.  

Regarding the rhythm circuit, I pretty much just dial something in, 1megs full up to “10”, and basically only touch the toggle/vol/tone when playing.   Works for me.

I’m actually a fan of the Jazzmaster/Jaguar trem - it’s smooth and has decent travel.  A very well-designed unit.  I slipped a little nylon sleeve from a Johnny Marr Jag and added a Staytrem collet to keep the bar from swinging.  I also swapped the original rattly bridge out for a Staytrem (similar to a Mustang bridge, but better design).  I actually sold the original pickups and got a nice set of Antiquities in there.  I like them much better, and they’re more consistent.

It’s a super comfortable, perfectly-balanced instrument, and I’m a fan.  I’ve been playing my Marr Jag a lot more recently, but that’s mostly to force myself to get familiar/comfortable with a Jag again.  The 25.5” Jazzmaster scale is a bit more “at home” for me on a Fender.

Like people have said, they’re a little quirky, but great clean tones, and a pretty smooth, round overdriven sound that is unlike other Fenders or Humbuckers to my ears. 

IMG_3241.jpeg

5 hours ago, Jimbilly said:

my first guitar was a Silvertone Jazzmaster (it's around here somewhere), my cousin gave it to me in around '82. 

I learned to play a little bit in spite of that POS. 

On 4/30/2023 at 10:57 AM, Jeff R said:

I love the offset look and feel, but I have zero use for anything else on a JM. Every feature it possesses compared to its predecessor feature on the Tele or the Strat appears to be change for change's sake, to host Leo's latest round of R&D "innovations" and to give Fender's sales and marketing team something new to sell and promote.

The most common "fix" I make on clients' JMs is shimming necks to change the pitch relative to the body, to get the TOM-like bridge up in the air more in the final setup, and subsequently improve the strings' downforce at that point. In stock form, the JM's lack of string downforce on the bridge mixed with excessive string length behind it mean heavy right hands will bounce the strings out of their respective saddles. On a related note, I'm a big fan of the Mastery replacement hardwares for JM - pricey but very nicey.

I'm doing my first shop offsets as soon as I can find time. They absolutely will not have the child's bike's kickstand tremolo, or the overly-complex switching system and bridges that foster proper downforce. The red one will be a hardtail HH, the blue one will be a hardtail P-90 duet, and the pink one will have a direct-mounted soapbar hidden under a JM cap. And a Bigsby.

The more modern Jazzmasters had a correct neck angle, too.  I personally would never want a vintage one (unless I could sell it for big moolah) but some less "vintage correct" models have 1) 52mm wide Mustang bridge, 2) thread-in vibrato arm, 3) no rhythm circuit, but you still get the comfortable shape, cool vibrato, and unique, lively pickups.

I've always liked the shape and look of a JM, but never really bonded with one. However, a few months ago I stumbled across a FGN Neo Classic JM with P90s and standard switching/controls. As a bonus, the neck is a little chunkier than most Fender JMs I've played. I've enjoyed this one more than I expected.

y4mG8MUIeM7or7zZYcGvRgYghBklWThiR6UwChLK

I had a Telemaster with tele pickups cause I just LOVE the offer shape. But I’ve never played a proper Jazzmaster or Jag.

The Fender is a 60th Anniversary that I picked up for a very good price. Completely stock, it was pretty lame but once I installed a Mastery Bridge and Tremolo and had my friend Jimmy Somma do some work on the neck and install a new nut, it became a lot of fun to play. I changed out the 1 meg pots for 250ohm which helped a bunch. The Bilt Zaftig is a no brainer although it's really only a JM in shape. This is one of my main guitars and plays like a dream. 

JMs.jpg

Archived