Hamer Fan Club Message Center

New guitars 2023. What did you get, if any?

Disturber

Last december I had sworn my guitar wardrobe was full. No more goes in, if nothing goes out. Still, two more made it in through the door.

I got a pretty good deal on a 1993 Hamer Special. It has a great 90's neck. Wide and kinda flat, medium sized. I love these necks. I was thinking I should have this as my beater. I had it in for a fret leveling job. It plays and sounds great.

embed?resid=CF0C1CE40C6F6CA!177744&authk

Then I got a chance last month to buy one of a few guitars I lusted for some 10 years ago, but I could not afford it then. Now I got it offered to me again. I just could not say no. I had to buy it. (Something else will have to go.)

A Swedish built Les Paul 1959 replica. Built by a member on the Mylespaul forum tweöve years ago. The builder lives about 400 meters from Johan Gustavssons shop, and has known him for ever. He got into building replicas about the same time as Tom Bartlett, and they traded tips and tricks and meazurements and other things. (A member here, who designed the templates for the Bartlett Retrospect, was also involved in these trades of tips and tricks).

It's an absolutely stunning Les Paul build. (Easily as great as a Barlett). It has not been played that much over the 10 years since it was built. But the owner treated it with a fret job before he sent it out to me.

1 piece Honduran Mahogany body
2 piece North Eastern US book matched Maple Top
1 piece Honduras Mahogany neck
Old growth Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard (over 100 years old)
Mazzucchelli cellulose nitrate fretboard inlays
Vintage correct 6/6 nylon over saddle
Aniline dyes and Nitro Cellulose lacquer 
Bindings are ABS/Roylaite on the body and
Celluloid cream on the neck
CTS true vintage taper potentiometers
Original 50’s .022 Bumbel Bee capacitors
50s wiring
Screen printed Les Paul logo
Loaded with Sheptone Tributes.

I love this guitar. It's as great as a great vintage LP can possibly be. Very light weight. Very resonant. Absolutely great wood selection of old growth mahogany.

embed?resid=CF0C1CE40C6F6CA!178994&authk

embed?resid=CF0C1CE40C6F6CA!178993&authk

embed?resid=CF0C1CE40C6F6CA!178992&authk 

Here is the build thread: https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/another-les-paul-build-thread.82178/

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

That LP copy is stunning!

1. I got an Oopegg. It's a Japanese boo-teek guitar that has sort of the body of an Ibanez Talman, the headstock of a Gretsch Corvette, a big ol' Gibson-scale neck, and P90, Tele, and Humbucker pickups. Here's a link to the dealer. It's this exact guitar. https://eddiesguitars.com/product/electric/electric-guitar-categories/solid-body-electric-guitars/oopegg-supreme-collection-trailbreaker-mark-i-maui-blue/
    Oopegg-1-6.jpg
  2. A Paul Reed Smith Custom 22. It had a few dings and some corrosion, and was clearly played a lot so I threw a lowball offer on Reverb and he shocked me by accepting it. It buffed up and cleaned up real nice. Ten top, vibrato. It is a stunningly great instrument. Missus Polara says to never sell it, and wants me to play it exclusively with our band.

PRS.jpeg

Edited by polara
  • Like 22

6 minutes ago, polara said:

1. I got an Oopegg. It's a Japanese boo-teek guitar that has sort of the body of an Ibanez Talman, the headstock of a Gretsch Corvette, a big ol' Gibson-scale neck, and P90, Tele, and Humbucker pickups. Here's a link to the dealer. It's this exact guitar. https://eddiesguitars.com/product/electric/electric-guitar-categories/solid-body-electric-guitars/oopegg-supreme-collection-trailbreaker-mark-i-maui-blue/

2. A Paul Reed Smith Custom 22. It had a few dings and some corrosion, and was clearly played a lot so I threw a lowball offer on Reverb and he shocked me by accepting it. It buffed up and cleaned up real nice. Ten top, vibrato. It is a stunningly great instrument. Missus Polara says to never sell it, and wants me to play it exclusively with our band.

PRS.jpeg

Very cool PRS!

• Like 1

Nice stuff! I must be aging.....Did not add any guitars during 2023. I am going to post something from late the year before, as it MAY be the springboard for a companion in 2024. Might have done it this year, but.....

The Grez Medocino is in the vein of the second Shishkov I'd have ordered if I had the option. Which is to say, to go nicely with #88. Redwood figured top over hollowed mahogany, ebony, Lollar Imperials with coil split and piezo. Barely over 5 pounds. No f holes. Despite appearances, this outshines 335s, sound wise. Added bonus......Roughly 10 week turnaround. Not the formula for everyone, but it is a great "do anything live" guitar.

Barry is now offering variations on this guitar with a slightly larger body and f hole for an even "bigger" sound. He also told me an arched top may be available later next year. So I am keeping my powder dry until then......

In the meantime, one really great PRS Private Stock just walked out the door (along with a couple nice amps and shop built speaker cabinets).........A handful of Scott Walker and Frank Hartungs may follow. Remains to be seen if I get decent offers. (Not in the mood for shipping at the moment, or I would post here). Prices have gone through the roof lately---check out Walkers at Willcutts for $16-22k(!!) A bit more downsizing would be wise for me......

Grez M 2.jpgGrez M.jpg

prs sct2.jpg

Edited by django49
  • Like 17

Only one. But THE one for 80s stuff like Dokken or Steelpanther. I am not the bolt- on guitars guy but her neck is insane. I searched for a Chap with these specs for over 20 years and I must say it is worth every Cent.

20230115162000_IMG_5126.JPG

• Like 26

You know you're old when you can't remember which ones are from this year.....

1. IYV thinline Tele. Plays/sounds fine. Nice and light. Currently strung up in Nashville tuning.

2. Cozart 12-string Strat. It's not bad but will get a bridge replacement. Super light and decently built, the bridge being the low point.

3. Squier Tele. Put an All-Parts neck on it straight away and it's not half bad. Does all that Tele stuff pretty darn well.

4. Guild Surfliner (factory 2nd). Bang-for-the-buck winner right there. Has some really nice greasy Strat/Tele sounds in there, and I used it to record a bunch.

That's under $800 in guitars (new) and 3 of the 4 I'd have no fear gigging with tomorrow. It's unreal, these cheap guitars. Especially when compared to the stuff I grew up with.

My only real want for the new year would be a carbon fiber acoustic. That sound.......

Edit to add a picture which is dated 12/2022, so I lied.

IMG_0092small.jpg

I guess the Squier Tele was the only new guitar in 2023.

Edited by hamerhead
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Shark said:

Uh....how about just December?

image.png

Bucket list guitar, right there!  ^^

• Like 2

I'm on a self-imposed "NO NEW GUITARS" thing, but I did finish at least one build this year.

The inlays make this one…

IMG_8839.jpeg

IMG_8833.jpeg

IMG_8840.jpeg

IMG_8825.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, VECTOR said:

The neck flame! 

Steve Parker (Parklane) does great work!  I was psyched when he agreed to do the custom inlays for me too.

• Like 2

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Brian May guitar, one of the $850 ones. I had heard about the Brian May "Super" models made in Czechia, but when they make it to the US they retail for 6K, so that's just not an option.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, polara said:

Oopegg-1-6.jpg

PRS.jpeg

Nice guitars!  I wonder where they got the idea for the 'Oopegg' moniker? ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, crunchee said:

Nice guitars!  I wonder where they got the idea for the 'Oopegg' moniker? ;)

I hope one of you gigging HFCers thrown that song into your end-of-set mix. And guitar makers, make one of those crazy reverse-S body guitars. 

Edited by Menehune
Shpeling!
  • Haha 1

Squire Jaguar bass, $150 at a pawn shop on accounta I wanted to noodle around on a medium scale bass. I guess you could call it NOS, as it still has the sealant sheet on the pickguard and there's not a scratch on it.  Whoop-de-doo....

0a7dd756cddf373b2bc8f33b233749545802c3cb_FDR_0378502502_1_19.jpg.d0fe2de4fb64ca83a7c153ee00045e75.jpg

• Like 16