Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA Tom Petersson Quad Bass

It even has a nice pic of the owner's name and SSN etched into that port for the whole world to see. 

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

Nice catch @Hackubus ! 

I looked at that listing this morning and I thought hmmm... I'm pretty sure I  had seen this "serial" number somewhere before.  So, I dug up my four digit listing and sure enough I had a record of #0096 in my files.  The only problem is, I show it as a 1978 Standard.  I checked my reference and it was from page  #47 of the book "The Ultimate" An Illustrated History of Hamer Guitars.   According to the authors" #0096 is a rare Blueburst finish with crown inlays.   Also, it was the last standard to feature the long oval control cavity and referred to in the factory log books as "Jaws" ".  

Now I'm no Hamer expert,  however inquiring minds would like to know.  Maybe @serial or Not Steve @cmatthes can jump in here and clarify what they know regarding Jaws and the Quad Bass. Oh that guy @HamStd might now something about this or @mc2

It is also very possible Hamer double stamped the same serial number into two different musical instruments. 

There is at least one example of double stamping in the LE series but that was decades ago.

Best wishes,

Hamerica  

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Hamerica said:

According to the authors" #0096 is a rare Blueburst finish with crown inlays.   Also, it was the last standard to feature the long oval control cavity and referred to in the factory log books as "Jaws" ".  

I remember that guitar well. I believe Serial owned it for a long time.
The nickname "Jaws" (if I remember correctly) came from the headstock repair. Something about the headstock break being so bad, it looked like a shark had bitten it off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watching and learning from this thread. I have interest in it, but want to know more about the history and if the seller will take a kidney in trade 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, marc61 said:

Watching and learning from this thread. I have interest in it, but want to know more about the history and if the seller will take a kidney in trade 

Since he made it so easy to steal his identity, just open a credit card in his name, buy it on ebay, and he has to pay for it.
Everybody wins!

Except him of course.

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

Possible family member selling it?

https://thechoir.net/tim-chandler-1960-2018/

Tim Chandler - maxchan21?

I'd still blur the SSN, though.....

ETA: this, too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Chandler

Edited by hamerhead
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hamerhead said:

He probably quit caring.

He's definitely no longer emotionally (or physically) invested, but I'm sure the family wouldn't want any bogus claims popping up.

• Like 2

I inherited a few tools from my grandmother's third husband (she lived up into her 90's).  Every time I use the bench grinder I am treated to his name and social security number - wrenches, ratchets, I think there was even a gas can... 😆

When I got to college in the early eighties, grades were posted by SSN. They then went to last four digits of the SSN.  By the time I graduated from nerd school in '89 they had told the professors they couldn't use the last four any more, so most of them used last four digits +1 to get around the rule. 

It was a different time.

• Like 3

oh, I have a good one...  when my brother and I were younger,  my father had someone make 

engraved social security cards for us.      We were at some kind of fair and he runs into 

the guy who did them and he had a whole table of samples... On the table were engraved

metal cards with our real names and social's.    Some carnival worker is probably opening up

a credit card in my name as we speak.       

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Hopefully, the poor kid that was assigned that number when ol' Tim passed on will dodge a bullet.  'Cuz they recycle SSNs when you depart this mortal coil, y'know.

34 minutes ago, DaveL said:

oh, I have a good one...  when my brother and I were younger,  my father had someone make 

engraved social security cards for us.      We were at some kind of fair and he runs into 

the guy who did them and he had a whole table of samples... On the table were engraved

metal cards with our real names and social's.    Some carnival worker is probably opening up

a credit card in my name as we speak.       

Carnies, small hands, smell of cabbage...

Mike-Myers-Austin-Powers-1-.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

OT about SS#'s. There was a story on 60 minutes about why you should NEVER give your SS number to anyone EVER. Fight it hard if they want it. 
The most common place people give up their number is in the medical field. Doctors, Hospitals and Dentists always ask for it. Don't do it. Here's why...

Copy Machines. Your medical records get copied all the time in offices. Those copy machines are almost always rented and not owned. Hospitals have contracts with vendors that supply them and they get replaced with new ones all the time. Most don't realize, they have Hard drives in them. And the copier saves thousands of pages of images. Images of your personal info and SS#'s. When the vendor comes and replaces the machines, nobody erases the hard drives! 

60 minutes went to an auction of business stuff and bought some used copiers. Low and behold, the hard drives still had all this personal info on the drives that anyone could see. Not encoded or anything, just there to be stolen.  Crazy right.

Edited by santellavision
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2024 at 7:58 AM, Hackubus said:

It even has a nice pic of the owner's name and SSN etched into that port for the whole world to see. 

On 3/6/2024 at 9:14 AM, kizanski said:

Since he made it so easy to steal his identity, just open a credit card in his name, buy it on ebay, and he has to pay for it.
Everybody wins!

Except him of course.

Brilliant AND Funny as Hell!!!

On 3/6/2024 at 8:25 AM, santellavision said:

So many knobs and switches! 

Yes, and I hope that QuadBass comes with the special 5-pin cable and breakout box that they all came with from Hamer.

The box splits the signal to 4 separate mono jacks for each string. I didn't see a standard style output jack on that bass anywhere.

On 3/6/2024 at 8:25 AM, santellavision said:

So many knobs and switches! 

16 hours ago, santellavision said:

Copy Machines. Your medical records get copied all the time in offices. Those copy machines are almost always rented and not owned. Hospitals have contracts with vendors that supply them and they get replaced with new ones all the time. Most don't realize, they have Hard drives in them. And the copier saves thousands of pages of images. Images of your personal info and SS#'s. When the vendor comes and replaces the machines, nobody erases the hard drives! 

Great advice!  It takes mere minutes to pull the hard drive out of a copy machine before it goes back to the Vendor or the scrap heap - been doing that since they started putting them in the machines.

We return you to your normally scheduled programming.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 5:26 PM, santellavision said:

OT about SS#'s. There was a story on 60 minutes about why you should NEVER give your SS number to anyone EVER. Fight it hard if they want it. 
The most common place people give up their number is in the medical field. Doctors, Hospitals and Dentists always ask for it. Don't do it. Here's why...

60 minutes went to an auction of business stuff and bought some used copiers. Low and behold, the hard drives still had all this personal info on the drives that anyone could see. Not encoded or anything, just there to be stolen.  Crazy right.

My identity was stolen this same was from a Physical Therapy Center.

Now I never give my SS.

• Like 1