Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

New Gear Porn


Recommended Posts

Posted

Picked up my new Standard Custom from Elduave today (who's always a pleasure to deal with). These pics do not come close to doing the the top justice...it really is beautiful and has lots of cool crossgrain. My new custom-built Reinhardt 18 watt amp head also showed up today so it was kinda like a late Christmas for today! For those who don't know, these amps are the SHIT for those looking for the old school Marshall tone. Looks pretty good with the THD cab too IMO.

standard%20full.jpg

standard%20top.jpg

18watt%20d.jpg

18watt%20b.jpg

Posted

Smokin' Jaye! Good luck with them!

I call DIBS or when you sell them!!

Posted

Very sweet. Congrats.

Posted
For those who don't know, these amps are the SHIT for those looking for the old school Marshall tone. 

Tell me exactly what that is...... some people probably think of Hendrix/Zep (late 60's, early 70's) while others like myself might think of early Kiss or Y&T ('73 though '76)

Which does this do?

Posted

Jaye:

Is that Reinhardt based on the Marshall 18 Watt (I think it's the model 1974)? Looks like the control layout is the same.

Incidentally, Jaye, I've tweaked my R4 Stinger, slapped some Pigtail studs in it and a new set of strings, and it sounds fantastic! It's a keeper after all.

Posted
For those who don't know, these amps are the SHIT for those looking for the old school Marshall tone. 

Tell me exactly what that is...... some people probably think of Hendrix/Zep (late 60's, early 70's) while others like myself might think of early Kiss or Y&T ('73 though '76)

Which does this do?

Depends...

;)

If you stick to a very faithful clone, it's more plexi sounding. The 18watters were called "Baby Bluesbreakers" because you could dial in the mush of a JTM45 at much lower volume, but they go a little farther than that. So, you could say, they walk the line between plexi and JTM45. The one shown has one channel that's a dead ringer for the original 18watter, and a second channel that's got more gain and a full tonestack, but the poweramp still has the mushier grind of the older marshalls.

They are fun as hell to play. More than usually touch sensetive and they have a good range of clean to distorted with just the pick and volume. They do a pretty good impression of a big tube amp with classic overdrive, will get more grind than anything Page recorded, and kick you in the chest pretty good. More than you'd expect for 18watts. However, they do NOT get the sizzle of an EL34, which isn't too much of a detriment in my opinion. If you bridge the channels (can't do this in a tremelo version, only one with a normal tonestack on the second channel), it doesn't do the hendrix thing faithfully since the channels aren't voiced bright and bass like a metalface, but the mixer trick still works and does produce a super fat tone.

If you want a later, more metalface, sound, it's available from the right builder. The circuit lends itself to some relatively simple voiciing and character changes. I was able to dial in a tone that wasn't all voxey chimey, but definitely removed some of the mush and fizz from the tone. This sounded a little more like ZZ-Top's first album to me, or more like the mid 70s rock bands, than like a bluesbreaker. I left it that way and it gets raves from folks who borrow it.

I did this same voicing with the black and pink amp I posted of on the old board. I also doubled the power. The amp retained it's extremely fun playability and it's grinding marshall mojo, but had a different character to it. It's now on tour with the lead guitarist of a punk band and the owner loves it.

Posted

Damn that guitar's good looking, Jaye. Great score!

Posted

Excellent looking guitar Jaye.

And when I first heard you were getting that amp, I checked out the sound clips on the website. Very impressive!

Posted
Tell me exactly what that is...... some people probably think of Hendrix/Zep (late 60's, early 70's)  while others like myself might think of early Kiss or Y&T  ('73 though '76)

Which does this do?

Well I've only had it one day but I asked Bob to dial it in more for the late 70s type stuff (ZZ Top, Thin Lizzy, etc.) and he nailed it IMO.

One thing I noticed right away is that you don't have to dime the volume to get a great tone...low or high volume gives pretty much the same tone, which is very cool. I'm using a Startouch A/B box so in essence, I can use the normal channel for clean and the bright channel for gain. Add a Bad Monkey OD up front and it just sings. This amp is a whole new ballgame for me and I'm really glad I decided to get one.

Finally, when I did dime the volume, it's loud as HELL... I have no doubt I could gig with it.

Here's a link to the 18 watt's description: Reinhardt 18 Watt

Posted

You have the perfect classic looking Standard-- the right top and the right color! You've also got me interested in looking for info on Reinhardt amps. Way to go!

Posted

Awesome looking guitar!!! I have to get me one of those some day

Posted

What Steve said. They're finally getting close to the color of the original 70's four digits with that one!

Posted

And to think that that one really DOES look better in person! (and is pretty damned light too)

Posted
And to think that that one really DOES look better in person! (and is pretty damned light too)

The pics don't come anywhere CLOSE to showing how good the top looks. Like I said, when I opened the case I was stunned because I wasn't expecting it to be so cool.

Posted

my god, now I want a Standard for my cover band LOL, this shit is ridiculous, wicked cool and thanks for the giant amp GAS pal ;)

Posted

what a wicked looking setup Jaye. Schweet.

I'm still in awe of the studio custom you sold BruceM. what an axe!

Posted

Nice stuff, Jaye!

Are you still using the LE Les Paul Standard? I may be interested if you're thinking of letting it go. Particularly if it's a 50's neck version.

Posted
Nice stuff, Jaye!

Are you still using the LE Les Paul Standard?  I may be interested if you're thinking of letting it go.  Particularly if it's a 50's neck version.

None of my three LPs are going anywhere Dave.... ;)

I made a huge mistake getting rid of my original LPs and don't plan on repeating it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...