Hamer Fan Club Message Center

KISS on Letterman tonight

crunchee

Makes sense... It was definitely a "gig" in the sense that Pul was talking to the audience, "Our next number..." That kind of interaction which you don't ever see on a talk show music guest segment.

Pretty cool that they posted the whole thing.

Paul's voice sounds not very good, imo.

Just watching the last half - Paul's voice is shot by "Strutter". He does a pretty good job of covering it, having the crowd sing along. If this is the beginning of the tour, there is some suffering to come. On both sides of the mic....

I made it through "There's Only One Way To Rock" and then 30 secs into "Shout It Out Loud"...............then the vocals became too painful.

STILL proving that one does not need a huge amount of talent to resonate with the masses, just some swagger and lots of smoke and mirrors combined with a good marketing strategy. Some people play music, some people use it as a vehicle for spectacle and a form of theater that also has a soundtrack. It's all good I guess. The beauty of music is that it isn't a competition, and if it makes people happy it is a beautiful thing. KISS seem to be doing that while also eeking out a living after all these years so good for them and their fans.

I still don't get it musically and likely never will. But that's OK. I appreciate the inspiration they have given to so many and the comic relief they have provided to those of us who see them as a huge joke. A huge, money-vacuuming joke.

Now to go spin some John Mayer to cleanse the palate.........

I wouldn't say Paul lacks talent. He's 60. His voice is shot.

And we should all be so lucky to "eek out a living" as they have.

All that said, they were hardly a joke up to "Alive," possibly into "Destroyer." Then they recognized the lucrative marketing opportunities.

I wouldn't say Paul lacks talent. He's 60. His voice is shot.

And we should all be so lucky to "eek out a living" as they have.

All that said, they were hardly a joke up to "Alive," possibly into "Destroyer." Then they recognized the lucrative marketing opportunities.

Like I said, differing perspectives. It's all good.

Like I said, differing perspectives. It's all good.

Agreed!

I still defy anyone to watch the Winterland performance on Kissology Vol. 1 and point out what's a joke about that.

The "KISS" part.

With respect to differing opinions, I'd have to disagree on that one, jwhitcomb3. I get that not everyone likes KISS but it's hard to dispute that during their heyday, and specifically, the Winterland show McChris is referring to, that they were anything less than killer. It was, for it's time, a spectacle beyond measure and the perfect brew of musicianship, showmanship and raw rock n roll guts. But that's my opinion- ;)

I used to be one of the biggest Kiss fans evah (in my early teenage years). I was even in the audience for the concert footage of Kiss meets the phantom at Magic Mountain. That was my first concert and it made a huge impression never to be forgotten, singed hair and all. Still to this day one of the best shows I've been to. (Show wise) When the Kissology DVD's came out I thought I'd re-live some of the good old days but couldn't get through very much of it. Reminded me of why I hadn’t listened to them in so long. They definitely had the show part down but I don't know that anything they have ever done could be classified as great musicianship. Catchy songs yes, musicianship, not so much. Time and age have definitely changed perspective in my case.

It never ceases to amaze me how KISS detractors always have to leap at a thread, and

profess their hatred for them. OR their amazement at how 4 no talent hacks fooled multitudes of

deluded music fans for almost 40 years, with their smoke and mirrors.

Yeah ... just my opinion, also.

Specially when not one record came with a single smoke bomb or mirror...

It never ceases to amaze me how KISS detractors always have to leap at a thread, and

profess their hatred for them. OR their amazement at how 4 no talent hacks fooled multitudes of

deluded music fans for almost 40 years, with their smoke and mirrors.

Yeah ... just my opinion, also.

Specially when not one record came with a single smoke bomb or mirror...

Yeah, but you know...those sticker/tattoo sheets, fold out color booklets, posters...a Love Gun... :D

Seriously. There have been plenty of either worse musicians with better songs, better musicians with worse songs or worse musicians with worse songs. KISS was fun and put out something that a lot of people really enjoyed.

Most of us are too young to remember, but the Beatles had their share of detractors too, talentless hacks that THEY were and all...

I just finished watching and loved every minute, but I could have gone without seeing the string of drool hanging off Gene's chin after Lick it Up. One of things I wish I could un-see.

Kiss made it OK to play with the distortion pedal ON all the time. I think me and my buddies wore out 'Alive' with crappy needles and bad 8-track players, and I learned to play every song. Haven't heard it in ages.

But....

None of the stuff before or after 'Alive' made me want to buy another. I'd heard the show was fantastic (never been to one), but the earlier recordings sounded crude, and the later stuff just never hit with me. I have a theory on that....

They sure figured out how to sell sh!t, though.

That's pretty cool. I went to a Letterman taping years ago and and Harry Connick, Jr. was the live performance. Yay. This would have been way cooler.

Man, all those hours I spent as a kid listening to Kiss Alive and studying the gatefold sleeve and booklet that came with the album....

KISS detractors seem to always have a chip on their shoulder.

THIS IS AMERICA!!!!!! Don't like it, DO SOMETHING ELSE!

They found a way to write cool songs, entertain people and get paid. By 1979, getting paid was more important than the music. FINE. So now they play the part of entertainers and have nice cars.

GET OVER IT.

My 14 year old daughter just walked by. I'm getting a kick out of seeing these guys do their things. She looks at me and says, "Was this cool? 60 year old guys wearing makeup?" Walks off. Ouch.

Yep - nothing like a heavy dose of perspective. :lol:

Archived