Boomerang~Junkie Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 No affiliation.Number 0042. Looks sweet - but holy shit is it pricey. I can barely afford to look at that auction.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hamer-Standard-guitar-USA-1976-/231397926166?pt=Guitar&hash=item35e0642516
Caddie Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 25k?! Not USD. Must be Putin bucks.Cheers!caddie
Boomerang~Junkie Posted November 21, 2014 Author Posted November 21, 2014 On second look - non-original case (wrong interior color and round corners) and is that neck PU correct?
Boomerang~Junkie Posted November 21, 2014 Author Posted November 21, 2014 That's not the correct case though is it?
cynic Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 This is the same guy that listed 0042 a couple years back but refused to meet for a local deal.I'm sure the price is just a place holder In order to field offers.
Bobby Marshall Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 Palatine? Either he needs to read the BOOK or I need to read it more closely.
cmatthes Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 If it's a '76, that would be a Winnetka basement guitar, correct?
Andrew Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 Pre-Sunburst launch (pre-Palatine) with such a low number. It's got a central stripe (from a veneer spline?) just like 0002. Not seen this on others of similar vintage. It's quite a fine guitar, must be worth an HFC budget busting price of at least $350.95.
Andrew Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 Separate point, here.Why has Hamer always used very plain, but uniform, pearl for its crowns,boomers and blocks? Even on the Tom Holmes built Sunbursts.These (possibly) Gibson boards on the early Standards with swirly pearl are really funky.I have no preference myself.
RichRS6 Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 Yep, same guitar that was the subject of some lengthy posts and negotiations last time and ended up being withdrawn.The sellers terms are frankly ridiculous, almost designed to put serious buyers off.If I was buying that I'd want to meet up face to face to check the guitar out before handing over the cash, most buyers would feel the same.
gorch Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 Nice watch topic though. I don't think it'll sell on that level either.
Steve Haynie Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 It seems like California sellers often put higher prices on their gear than what their gear is worth. Maybe the seller is fishing for offers.
RichRS6 Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 I'd be very surprised if it sells on ebay and quite amazed if it makes $25,000.
ghamerinfrance Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 Even 54 LP G....do not reach those amounts those days. On this market, I d be very surprised too...But hope is a a good thing...
velorush Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 It's got a central stripe (from a veneer spline?) just like 0002. Not seen this on others of similar vintage. It's quite a fine guitar, must be worth an HFC budget busting price of at least $350.95.Beautiful guitar in spite of whatever shenanigans are being played in the pricing.I'm curious about that central stripe. The flame continues into the stripe throughout. I don't recall reading anything about this sort of thing in The Book. Was that the result of an experiment in joining the halves of the top veneer?
Boomerang~Junkie Posted November 21, 2014 Author Posted November 21, 2014 The stripe looks to be about the width of masking tape. So, I'm wondering if it could be related to being taped off there and the adhesive or residue from it affected the ability to absorb or colored the stain differently? Just an amateur's guess?
cynic Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 I'm curious if anyone here is able to ask the seller questions. Maybe he blocked my after the last time he listed it because I'm local, but I'm unable to start a dialog.
cmatthes Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 Simple process, but the way they joined the thin veneer on the early Standards was to glue a thin spline down the center on the back side to hold it together. Because the veneer was about the thickness of construction paper, you couldn't glue the matching face ends together - not enough surface area to bind it. By gluing the spline on the underside, you provide more surface area for a tight and secure joint of the two veneer pieces, and then that spline fits into a shallow channel in the mahogany body to secure it in place and center it.The spline doesn't always show through on these early guitars, but when it does, you can really tell how they were doing it back then.
crunchee Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 Were the style of 'USA' marks on the headstock front on this guitar, next to the Hamer logo, typical for a early one? It looks kinda funky to me.
serial Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 Looks all original to me. The spline story is in the Book as I recall. All of the early ones have them-some more prominent than others.Not sure about the case being original. It's much different than #0017's. Also not sure that this is a '76 or a '77-it's close to the line.
The Shark Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 Does my heart good to see it priced that high. Makes me feel better about how much I paid Bubs for his!!!!
cynic Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 Does my heart good to see it priced that high. Makes me feel better about how much I paid Bubs for his!!!! Agreed, I've got one on it's way to the block, so I'd love nothing more than to see a nice BIN purchase of this one!!
ARM OF HAMER Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 Ebay serves as nothing more than advertisement for big ticket items like this....................offers can be made and deals struck off Ebay so any fees other than the agreed on selling price are no issues.While I'm no where near the expert I would say 25K is a tall leap IMHO but............. if I had it.............sure be cool to own. Wonder why the guy is SO against doing a local deal? If I were buying I would have to see the guitar and play it before I bought it............who wouldn't? Prove of funds prior to actually seeing and playing the guitar could be verified to the seller in advance.
it's me HHB Posted November 21, 2014 Posted November 21, 2014 Wouldn't you rather do a local no shipped show me the money sale if it were you? Seems like there is an issue just waiting to be pinned on ups or someone
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.