mrjamiam Posted December 6, 2017 Posted December 6, 2017 On eBay this evening, from the collection of a now-banned former member here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/0699-HAMER-STANDARD-BASS-4-DIGIT-RARE-J-J-configuration/263350817330?hash=item3d50ee9232:g:HfoAAOSwKrhVZ4lW
Jakeboy Posted December 6, 2017 Posted December 6, 2017 Damn. That was a good deal. Damn. I would love that, but I am not really a bassist, except for when I record....but I want it anyway.
mrjamiam Posted December 6, 2017 Author Posted December 6, 2017 And people have been saying that prices were going up....
Menehune Posted December 6, 2017 Posted December 6, 2017 I followed it for a few days, but something kept me from bidding.
ajm1966 Posted December 6, 2017 Posted December 6, 2017 wow , that was a great price , he had that priced high for a long time , i missed that one .........dam
bubs_42 Posted December 6, 2017 Posted December 6, 2017 7 hours ago, Menehune said: I followed it for a few days, but something kept me from bidding. Me too, but I know why I didn't by it. Nothing is free, especially smiles.
gorch Posted December 6, 2017 Posted December 6, 2017 That’s been a great deal! I wish I‘d snagged this.
tommy p Posted December 6, 2017 Posted December 6, 2017 I'm sorry to see it go for so cheap, but I'm glad that Smiley didn't get to rip anyone off.
dgstandard Posted December 6, 2017 Posted December 6, 2017 Wow - I loved that bass! Someone got a great deal!!
bubs_42 Posted December 6, 2017 Posted December 6, 2017 35 minutes ago, tommy p said: I'm sorry to see it go for so cheap, but I'm glad that Smiley didn't get to rip anyone off. Well he asks a high dollar for everything, then all of a sudden he throws some "Chum" in the water. Smell fishy, I don't like the guy and wouldn't touch anything he has FS. EVER
Hbom Posted December 6, 2017 Posted December 6, 2017 12 hours ago, Menehune said: I followed it for a few days, but something kept me from bidding. Me too. Seller's history.
Menehune Posted December 6, 2017 Posted December 6, 2017 17 minutes ago, Hbom said: Me too. Seller's history. I don't know the seller's history. Just got the sense of "this is not the bass I am looking for."
currypowder Posted December 6, 2017 Posted December 6, 2017 I'm with you guys on the seller and his rep. But not everyone is as enlightened as this group is. So why do you think it went so cheap? I would think that being on ebay in an auction format would have brought a higher price. Is there something obvious I'm missing? Maybe the required overnight shipping which will probably add 3 bills to the price. But even then, it seems low. His e-bay feedback profile looks good, so that shouldn't have turned potential buyers off. Maybe just bad timing.
cynic Posted December 6, 2017 Posted December 6, 2017 All caps. Multiple color type. 8 string? Poorly worded ad. Lazy description.
kizanski Posted December 6, 2017 Posted December 6, 2017 14 minutes ago, cynic said: All caps. Multiple color type. 8 string? Poorly worded ad. Lazy description. "But Sir! ... These babies sell themselves!"
chromium Posted December 6, 2017 Posted December 6, 2017 1 hour ago, currypowder said: I'm with you guys on the seller and his rep. But not everyone is as enlightened as this group is. So why do you think it went so cheap? I would think that being on ebay in an auction format would have brought a higher price. Is there something obvious I'm missing? Maybe the required overnight shipping which will probably add 3 bills to the price. But even then, it seems low. His e-bay feedback profile looks good, so that shouldn't have turned potential buyers off. Maybe just bad timing. My opinion: bad time of year for many, as discretionary income is funnelling into the holidays... and I can't help but think about the fact that this one is sorta spec'd out like a Blitz (same head too) - without the benefit (IMO) of a P pickup. I've used J/J configs to good effect, but I do know folks that avoid them. Really cool bass - no doubt there - but when you can get something visually and functionally similar in a $800-1k Blitz, Im not too suprised about the sale price. Not sure the 4-digit rarity factor alone would resonate with most folks outside of this place.
ARM OF HAMER Posted December 6, 2017 Posted December 6, 2017 6 hours ago, bubs_42 said: Well he asks a high dollar for everything, then all of a sudden he throws some "Chum" in the water. Smell fishy, I don't like the guy and wouldn't touch anything he has FS. EVER THIS ^^^^^^^
ARM OF HAMER Posted December 6, 2017 Posted December 6, 2017 Just now, cmatthes said: I'm willing to bet Brent bought it. Now that is funny! But you may very well be right!
mc2 Posted December 7, 2017 Posted December 7, 2017 That was just about what it was bought for when it first showed up hanging at a dealer around five or six years ago, I think. I think its "looking like a Blitz" was the big downside. Most people would think it was a Blitz that someone was trying to hawk as a Standard and pull a fast one. Funny, I tried to buy that bass a couple times. Didn't see it was relisted cheap.
cynic Posted December 7, 2017 Posted December 7, 2017 5 hours ago, mc2 said: That was just about what it was bought for when it first showed up hanging at a dealer around five or six years ago, I think. Is that the one from Austin?
george4th Posted December 7, 2017 Posted December 7, 2017 Or you could buy this...also for sale under said sellers account via the bay...
currypowder Posted December 7, 2017 Posted December 7, 2017 6 hours ago, george4th said: Or you could buy this...also for sale under said sellers account via the bay... I saw that. Had no idea there is a market for shit can Broncos.
Steve Haynie Posted December 7, 2017 Posted December 7, 2017 Just because someone won an auction with a low bid does not mean that the seller will have to accept it. There have been other eBay items that sold for "good deal" prices that got negated because the seller noticed some undisclosed damage when packing the item.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.