HamerCustomEr Posted March 18, 2022 Posted March 18, 2022 No affiliation. The headstock is broken right off. https://reverb.com/item/52224969-hamer-special-husk-project-for-repair-usa-1970s-sustainer-bridge-c-1978-white
Biz Prof Posted March 18, 2022 Posted March 18, 2022 Interesting. There's a shitload more than a headstock break wrong with that one.
smith Posted March 18, 2022 Posted March 18, 2022 Well, I bought the damn thing. Curiosity of what's under the white paint got the best of me. Thanks for the heads up. I needed another project like I need a hole in the head, but we'll see. I've done more than a few headstock repairs. I just hope the neck's not twisted like some of the early one piece neck Sunbursts.
HamerCustomEr Posted March 19, 2022 Author Posted March 19, 2022 1 hour ago, smith said: Well, I bought the damn thing. Curiosity of what's under the white paint got the best of me. Thanks for the heads up. I needed another project like I need a hole in the head, but we'll see. I've done more than a few headstock repairs. I just hope the neck's not twisted like some of the early one piece neck Sunbursts. You are my new hero! We can't to see pictures of your progress!
kizanski Posted March 19, 2022 Posted March 19, 2022 1 hour ago, smith said: Well, I bought the damn thing. Duuuuude....
Travis Posted March 19, 2022 Posted March 19, 2022 1 minute ago, smith said: Yep, mustof been the bourbon. Ha! Been there… Which bourbon did you in tonight…?
Travis Posted March 19, 2022 Posted March 19, 2022 34 minutes ago, smith said: Weller....Special Reserve. That’s a good one. One of my wife’s favorites.
Disturber Posted March 19, 2022 Posted March 19, 2022 12 hours ago, smith said: Well, I bought the damn thing. Curiosity of what's under the white paint got the best of me. Thanks for the heads up. I needed another project like I need a hole in the head, but we'll see. I've done more than a few headstock repairs. I just hope the neck's not twisted like some of the early one piece neck Sunbursts. Post restoration pics here pleeese. ⚡⚡🙏👍🤘
jaded_musician Posted March 19, 2022 Posted March 19, 2022 If nothing else you have a nice bridge. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.
Steve Haynie Posted March 19, 2022 Posted March 19, 2022 Well, @smith, as long as you do not have to pay someone else for the repair work you will be OK. Some of us have had to sink a lot of money into repairing guitars we like. I regret none of those expenses, but it requires being committed to a guitar. Not feeling the neck on the Hamer you bought beforehand is something that would worry me.
cmatthes Posted March 19, 2022 Posted March 19, 2022 4 hours ago, jaded_musician said: If nothing else you have a nice bridge. Can’t wait to see how it turns out. It’s not the highly-sought after Sustainblock bridge. That’s the earlier shimmed version, which is basically a MightyMite fixed bridge.
Jim85IROC Posted March 19, 2022 Posted March 19, 2022 congrats. If I saw it before it sold I may have grabbed it myself. I've repaired a few cracked necks, but I haven't done a full break yet. I've been looking for the right guitar to do it on. Enjoy your project, and make sure you post the project here!
Hbom Posted March 19, 2022 Posted March 19, 2022 45 minutes ago, cmatthes said: It’s not the highly-sought after Sustainblock bridge. That’s the earlier shimmed version, which is basically a MightyMite fixed bridge. Would that bridge be correct for a Special? I was thinking the shimmed bridges were on Sunbursts and gone by '79.
cmatthes Posted March 19, 2022 Posted March 19, 2022 Just now, Hbom said: Would that bridge be correct for a Special? I was thinking the shimmed bridges were on Sunbursts and gone by '79. It’s an early Sunburst - I’m guessing ‘78? It is not a Special.
smith Posted March 19, 2022 Posted March 19, 2022 The seller says the binding is still intact under the white paint, except for the cutaway, obviously. That ugly cutaway was my biggest hang up, and I almost didn't buy it because of that. Seller also sent me pics of back. It looks pretty much like the front. I'm so hoping the veneer on the top is still whole with no sand through. I'll keep y'all updated on the restoration.
Dave Scepter Posted March 19, 2022 Posted March 19, 2022 Looks like a fun project... too bad the original pickups weren't there 😕
scottcald Posted March 20, 2022 Posted March 20, 2022 10 hours ago, smith said: The seller says the binding is still intact under the white paint, except for the cutaway, obviously. That ugly cutaway was my biggest hang up, and I almost didn't buy it because of that. Seller also sent me pics of back. It looks pretty much like the front. I'm so hoping the veneer on the top is still whole with no sand through. I'll keep y'all updated on the restoration. I didn't notice the cutaway immediately. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think the upper access is exactly tough.
beezerboy Posted March 20, 2022 Posted March 20, 2022 ... late to the party. Bourbon??? David Nicholson!! go straight to the Reserve. thank me later an yeah... nasty neck. someone else already bugger the repair. its fixable though
Stike Posted March 20, 2022 Posted March 20, 2022 18 hours ago, smith said: The seller says the binding is still intact under the white paint, except for the cutaway, obviously. That ugly cutaway was my biggest hang up, and I almost didn't buy it because of that. Seller also sent me pics of back. It looks pretty much like the front. I'm so hoping the veneer on the top is still whole with no sand through. I'll keep y'all updated on the restoration. I would have driven over there with cash in hand if it hadn't been for the cutaway. They have an old Greco Iceman for sale that's kinda been calling to me even though my GAS has largely subsided.
veatch Posted March 21, 2022 Posted March 21, 2022 10 hours ago, Stike said: I would have driven over there with cash in hand if it hadn't been for the cutaway. They have an old Greco Iceman for sale that's kinda been calling to me even though my GAS has largely subsided. I was thinking the same. That and "I need another project like I need a <full in the blank with whatever...>" But, I was also into the Knob Creek, which can be pretty persuasive... Need to track down some of the David Nicholson to try. : ) congrats on the purchase, and looking forward to progress pics...
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.