Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Small-bodied Semi-hollow?

hamerhead

Question

Asking for a friend. She's pretty tiny and was looking at a full-size Gretsch. Picturing that made me laugh, but I thought I could point her to something more manageable.

Ideas?

for S/H, you also can't not mention a Thinline Telecaster. Thinlines aren't my favorite guitar platform but if I could only have one guitar, it would be a Thinline Telecaster.

Here's my most recent TL fabrication, to demo a new set of humbuckers for an artist on my pickups roster.

May be an image of guitar

I have a thinline style tele and traded someone here a Gibson 390. Epiphone also makes the smaller ES 339 semi hollow.  The 390 weighed 5 lbs and flat out rocked. I'm still playing the Alt T.

I've had two B&Gs cross the bench. They look a little weird to my eye but they have been among the best tone wood selection I've ever heard or, more specifically, felt under my hands or against my ribcage. They say they only use reclaimed/repurposed old growth woods and I am sure that was the case with the ones I had.  The guitars were simply magical acoustically.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Hamer Newport or Monaco.

7 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Hamer Newport or Monaco.

I'd hate to waste either of those. Her skills are up there in the cowboy-chord-accompaniment range. She's getting better, but a nice import (she likes Jeff's D'Angelico) would be perfect for the time being.

Cliff, the better half of the hard hitting Spanish Reggae Duo, "Jim y Clif", just picked this one up for $1200 locally.

Ibanez 200 something or other, "Prestige" on the truss rod coverlet.

Ibanez.jpg

I'm sorely tempted. It sounds like a hollow body should, plays nice with pedals, and #oxfordcommabedamned, sounds sweet, if a bit bright.

On 10/19/2022 at 8:02 PM, hamerhead said:

I'd hate to waste either of those. Her skills are up there in the cowboy-chord-accompaniment range. She's getting better, but a nice import (she likes Jeff's D'Angelico) would be perfect for the time being.

Okay then Shishkov SH DC. 😎

Seriously though, a female friend of mine has an Epiphone ES-339 Pro with P-90s that she loves and it sounds great.  

ETA: here's one that comes with a Gretsch hard case. :)

https://reverb.com/item/61596747-epiphone-es-339-p90-pro-2014-2019-pelham-blue-near-mint-with-gretsch-hardshell-case

On 10/19/2022 at 7:02 PM, hamerhead said:

+1!  It kinda defeats the purpose of recommending an expensive 'collectible' guitar to someone who is still learning the basics...after all, you want her to be able to play guitar and use a guitar that she'll be comfortable with and want to use often for years to come, not treat with kid gloves and/or worry about 'devaluing' it.  There's plenty of time later to upgrade gear if she wants to, plenty of gear to choose from, and plenty of perfectly good guitars around in the meantime that won't break the bank .

Archived