Hamer Fan Club Message Center

One thing I'll give the new Extreme song, "Rise"...

I think it's an OK song overall, but it has been a hot minute since I've seen so many people trying to learn a solo. It reminds me of when this kind of stuff was more mainstream and guitar pyrotechnics could cross over into the land of watercooler talk instead of remaining in the realm of guitar nerdom. I'm not saying this occasion is close to that level or that "Nuno is bringing it back, bruther," but it's enough like it to make me smile a bit.  

Loved the solo. Thought the song as a whole was nothing special. I’ll most likely check out the rest of the album eventually. 

It’s ok. Nuno plays great and doesn’t look like he’s aged.     Seems like just riffing with no hook?   It almost sounds like it should be from 1992 when metal bands all went grunge.  

4 hours ago, Rownd said:

Don't think old people like ourselves are going to be the ones to "bring it back".  

Nor do I. Plus, there has been this weird generational friction that has developed with Rick Beato as the symbol of all that is boomer in guitar after the "boomer bends" thing came up when he was interviewing Tim Henson from Polyphia. I guess it's easiest as explained as the post-djent guitar heros like Henson and Tosin Abasi vs. what came before all of that.

Imagine lumping everyone from Hendrix to Alexi Laiho loosley in the same style, but there you have it. 

Nuno seems to have a lot appeal across that divide, to whatever extent there is one (and I think it's dumb, but I've always thought guitar nerdom is dumb). It's kind of interesting seeing some of the guitar channels I watch from time to time who rarely cross over all covering this. 

Once again, I don't think this is a significant anything as much as I enjoyed a single solo make so many guitarists from different backgrounds say, "Holy shit!" I miss that a bit. 

4 hours ago, DaveL said:

It’s ok. Nuno plays great and doesn’t look like he’s aged.     Seems like just riffing with no hook?   It almost sounds like it should be from 1992 when metal bands all went grunge.  

The song is pretty mid. I'm pretty sure the main riff is just Tool's "46 & 2" in 4/4, that was one crazy solo. Starts off very EVH and ends with a somewhat fresh take on arpeggio runs. I suspect it's not all brand spanking new (remember that time Steve Vai forgot Jerry Donahue exists and "discovered" "joint shifting"), but it still made me think, "Well, that's a little different!"

I thought that the song itself was okay, although personally, I hated that solo.  I would never choose to listen to unmelodic wankery like this (again), and the only location that I would possibly tolerate it would be at the local music store.  If you like fretboard gymnastics, then great, but at least combine it with melody, like this masterpiece by Vivian Campbell at 1:58:

I’m glad it’s finally coming out. Extreme albums are deep treasure dives and always have an impact on me. It was reassuring that Nuno said as much on his recent Trunk appearance. As for the single, I’m underwhelmed, mostly due to the pedestrian/phoned in nature of the chorus melody and lyric. But I’m not worried. I’m sure I’ll love the record as a whole. It’s interesting that the solo is generating the talk, but when you stand back and observe, that was probably the aim of the rollout. M3 in a few months. Looking forward to it, especially since they cancelled (I think it was) last year.

Agree the song is mid. I love the groove, but thanks, Luc - it's Tool. Couldn't place where that came from. 

The chorus with the Jonas Brothers "Uh - uh - uh - up" is meh, at best. Solo is beyond my meager playing ability,  but I wouldn't put it on any top 10 list, or even in the top 5 Nuno solos.  The lick starting at 2:55 is pretty trick. That alone is worth the price of admission.  

Apologies, as I'm sure nobody gives a flying rip what I think. It's better than I'll ever do. : )

Green beer allows me to post this, though, so I have that going for me. 

I still regard Nuno as one of my top guitarists. I watched him hold his own (and then some) with Vai and uh, Zakk Wylde in a 3 way shred-athon battle during Generation Ax. 

That said, Rise sounds like an uptempo take on this riff:

13 hours ago, elduave said:

As for the single, I’m underwhelmed, mostly due to the pedestrian/phoned in nature of the chorus melody and lyric. 

I think it's an average rock song. Pretty cool, I love the pre-chrous part. But then the actual chorus - with it's soccer fan choir vocals - makes me think of boy bands.

The solo rules. A solo does not make a song though. 

I listened... closely... I think the song rocked pretty good! Finally some rocknroll!! The solo far better/faster than I can play now. So yeah it all rocked!! I could see doing that in coverband years ago. It'd be a fun song!!

On 3/17/2023 at 4:48 PM, Travis said:

Loved the solo. Thought the song as a whole was nothing special. I’ll most likely check out the rest of the album eventually. 

Exactly my evaluation. That muted section of the solo is certainly one of those "Damn, that is a killer technique" things, but I'm pretty sure he's using a delay effect to make it sound even more intricate than it already is. IIRC, he used the same effect on "Flight of the Wounded Bumblebee".  The guy is a truly brilliant player.

1 hour ago, Biz Prof said:

IIRC, he used the same effect on "Flight of the Wounded Bumblebee".  The guy is a truly brilliant player.

You are correct, sir

Archived