Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Desert Island Pedals

Michael_B

A Treble Boost/Overdrive... they're too many companies out there making excellent one's to pick just one~ that being said, I've tried a dozen handmade, fancy schmancy, hoity-toity, boo-teek varieties and I always seem to keep coming back to the cheap reliable BBE Green Screamer

15 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

An MXR Phase 90 is a pedal to consider.

A phase pedal... huhn.  I'll look into it.  Out of curiosity, what do you like about the Phase 90?

6 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

A Treble Boost/Overdrive... they're too many companies out there making excellent one's to pick just one~

Which one would you take onto a desert island?

A Phase 90 is just a cool, simple effect pedal.  It is not exactly a chorus, but it can make your sound a little more full like a chorus.  You can go all out with a strong phased sound to get into sonic weirdness. 

Phase shifters were all over the place in 70's rock albums.  Waylon Jennings was using that type of effect in country music.  The Phase 90 was the ubiquitous phase pedal.  They are cheap except for the early script logo examples that collectors want to snap up.  For the price and simplicity of two knobs you cannot go wrong. 

11 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

The Phase 90 was the ubiquitous phase pedal.  They are cheap except for the early script logo examples that collectors want to snap up.  For the price and simplicity of two knobs you cannot go wrong. 

That's the Phase 100. The Phase 90 has one knob, dude.

The older lime green Boss Phaser pedals - PH-1, PH-1R, PH-2 - are pretty good too and readily available on the vintage market. I'm using a PH-1R at this time. The mode switch on the PH-2 gives you a decent flanger-like swoop on the fly too. I hate the current Boss Phase Shifter - very digital sounding and very noticeable volume drop when you engage the effect. Ugh.

Saucy Box! I go through tons of gear, and for the last 2 years that pedal has never left my board. Its hard to go without a really great Tremolo Pedal and if your amp doesn't have reverb a great Reverb Pedal is a great add. 

Anything Way Huge

Anything T Rex

Hmm...I’m going to throw a vote for the original made in Denmark TC Electronic Line Booster + Driver & Distortion pedal.  Need a killer clean boost, it’s in there.  Need a Rat-esque distortion...yup it’s in there too.  Need a noise gate...yup, got that covered too.  Need a 3-band EQ...still no problem, the LBD has you covered.  Still not enough?  How about an XLR out for direct out?  I don’t know if there ever was or ever has been since another pedal that does so many things well AND can be powered by a single 9V battery (important since there probably won’t be any electricity on the desert island)? 

Buy (or borrow) a Boss GT-6, GT-8, or GT-10. These are multi-effect platforms, with phaser, chorus, OD, etc.
Diddle / experiment with the effects until you find sounds that you like, then pick up the effects you want. Of just use the multi-effect.

There's a Boss GT-6 advertised in Black Hawk (Boulder craigslist) for $100 (ad's a couple weeks old)...

8 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

My favorite phaser is the Red Witch Moon Phaser. The MXR is great, but the Moon Phaser stole the show for me!

I gotta get with daddy on this. Also, the HBE Germania 44 Treble Booster. Gone thru a bunch, the G44 takes the brass ring. Honorable Mention: Analogman Beano Boost.

I never leave home without these as a minimum.

1. Barber tone press 

2. Barber Direct Drive

3. Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail

4. Hall of Fame

i really like the V2 Keely Caverns and the EH Grand Canyon. Never found a phaser/flanger that I fell in love with. I just got a B9 organ pedal... this could get crazy!!

10 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Saucy Box!

We already knew that!

For me (in order of importance):

1. OCD

2. Boss DD-6

3. Tone Press (big version)

The OCD was a breakthrough pedal for me. Does exactly what I need, covers a lot of ground, and stacks perfectly. The DD-6 sounds more like a super-clean analog delay than a digital one. And the Tone Press is the most subtle and transparent note stretcher I've ever tried (the big one sounds better than the small one).

For me, I have come to love, in no particular order:

1. Treble Booster with Marshall And tweeds. 70s RNR lives here.

2. Echoplex type—-I love my Belle Epoch when I want that sound.

3. Klone for clean boost—-I dig the Monsterpiece STUD.

4. A fuzz—-Lovepedal White Dragon, Or SST for humbuckers....Mississippi Tchula for singles.

5. OD——Lovepedal OD11 is transparent and killer. Also love the Lovepedal Kanji

6. Dirty boost—-Lovepedal COT50

7. Reverb.

i have lots of others for various functions and flavors.

A Colorsound Overdriver clone will do all the dirt you need in one pedal...tone-shaper, clean to dirty boost, OD, distortion and Fuzz.

On 12/24/2018 at 2:13 PM, Dave Scepter said:

A Treble Boost/Overdrive... they're too many companies out there making excellent one's to pick just one~ that being said, I've tried a dozen handmade, fancy schmancy, hoity-toity, boo-teek varieties and I always seem to keep coming back to the cheap reliable BBE Green Screamer

^THIS! The BBE Green Screamer is really good. I have however my custom treble boosters made by BSP. Also, I’m getting used to the Catalinbread Galileo. But in any case, it will certainly be one of those. A treble booster!

If my desert island amp has no reverb, I would need a Strymon Flint - the trem is a bonus. Another dual purpose need would be a Barber Half Gainer (love that OD!). And finally a delay, preferably a Strymon El Capistan.

Let’s hope for electricity on this island!

Archived