Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer 90's Specials rule.

You can still find a 1990's Special for just above 1000 dollars. Even less you you are lucky. But these guitars are as great as any Hamer ever made. Body and neck construction and wood quality should be the exact same as for instance a Gary Moore Special, or an early Steve Stevens with mahogany neck. So a hard tail 22 fret Steve Stevens if you like.

Mine is a humbucker conversion built in 1993. Yesterday was the 2nd gig that I used it. And I used it for every song. It has Duncan Alnico 2 Pro's in it. They sound absolutely great. The sweetest 90's neck (my favourite necks). Wide, medium and not to skinny. So easy to play. Tone for days. Fat and greasy.

It was a really small stage. Could almost not find room for the pedal board. And the monitor was placed at my left shoulder. Easy to bang the headstock into it if not careful. Drums and the bass player just next to me on the right. No need to bring a fancy guitar to a gig like this.

424595138_10229821398293354_485600415775

• Like 21

Yup. I had a ‘95 Special FM years ago that was a true workhorse. It was my pickup swap mule guitar. I had so many different pickups in it and the guitar sounded great with all of them. Plus, it had a sick flame under Aztec Gold finish. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JPDIII said:

Is that guitar all mahogany or does it have a cap?

Pete Davis 

It's all mahogany. Like an old 50's Gibby Special.

• Like 4

Almost a mirror image of picture number 12.

edit: and it kinda makes it look like it might have taken a hit somewhere along the way.

Edited by Hbom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bry4321 said:

Here is one on CL asking price $850 (no affiliation) in Ohio https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/msg/d/mansfield-hamer-special-usa-1993/7714009197.html 

You can not find a better built USA (or European) guitar for 850. It's a steal. 

11 hours ago, Pieman said:

thoughts on picture number 11?

It looks like reflections. Or a laquer crack. Nothing visible here on this pic. So my guess is that the neck is totally okay.

00m0m_3aQQTN9TYee_0bg0f1_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 7:18 PM, Jakeboy said:

Damn @Travis….an Aztec Special sounds incredible.

Yeah, it was a pretty incredible guitar. One of the ones I shouldn’t have sold. 

EA0177E4-CE5C-47CD-BF47-107E8A000DBE.webp

9F4DCBE5-13DD-41B3-9EF6-346C3F42C0C7.webp

• Like 4