Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Guitars USA might be coming back soon.

BCR Greg

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chances are if you're sniffing cork, you'll probably end up soaking it too. At least in the movies I've seen.

Easy there, Johnny Dangerously!

28 minutes ago, Devnor said:

Thanks for the update Greg.  I appreciate you looking into this for us.

Yeah, thanks for the thorough investigation. In the age of dubious media, emotion-baiting headlines, and "fake news", it's good to know we have a warrior on our side that goes past the press release disinformation to dig out the nitty-gritty.

Anyone here have go-fund me campaign experience so we can compensate for this important trip into the lions den?

Surely 22 pages of our attention warrants reparations for airfare, NAMM-priced chili dogs, and the interpreter fees that delivered us this critical update.

40 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

Yeah, thanks for the thorough investigation. In the age of dubious media, emotion-baiting headlines, and "fake news", it's good to know we have a warrior on our side that goes past the press release disinformation to dig out the nitty-gritty.

Anyone here have go-fund me campaign experience so we can compensate for this important trip into the lions den?

Surely 22 pages of our attention warrants reparations for airfare, NAMM-priced chili dogs, and the interpreter fees that delivered us this critical update.

Yea, because, somebody held a gun to your head to post in this thread.....<_<

After page 7 I only allow myself to delve into this thread once per day.

And everyday, I read it, I laugh, I shake my head in wonder, and I think why? Why? Why, do I keep reading this?

It's The HFC.

5 minutes ago, Hbom said:

After page 7 I only allow myself to delve into this thread once per day.

And everyday, I read it, I laugh, I shake my head in wonder, and I think why? Why? Why, do I keep reading this?

why.jpg

10 minutes ago, Hbom said:

No shame in revisiting the old HFC days, and getting a new roll call on the delusional. A lot of names have changed, and some folks are new since 2006 when this place melted down after Galilean revelations divided believers against the steadfast flat earth society.

I've seen  OPs messiah complex up close, and I gotta admit, I STILL have slight hopes that the water will get trod.

5 hours ago, django49 said:

To the point of both cellos and "going after that last 10%"......

("Bowing is getting better, although I made the mistake of trying out a thousand dollar pernambuco bow - jeebus, it really does make a difference. so that's on this year's to-buy last 10%").

Pernambuco is (some say) taking materials such as Brazilian Rosewood to the "next level". I gave in to the hype about 2 years ago and bought a guitar with a solid pernambuco NECK about 2 years ago. (From a limited run of 25 PRS DGT Private Stocks). Fortunately, found one used and avoided SOME of the original upcharge. As best I know, that is no longer even offered as an option, at any price.

I would have a hard time describing the difference between it and "similar" guitars with such materials as Brazilian necks. IMO, there is a certain magic to the sound that is not completely related to "unobtainium". Def worth the premium price to me.

5 hours ago, polara said:

Owner of the guitar shop down the street is mostly a classical player, and tells me his cellist friend was excited about his $50,000 pernambuco bow.

Makes me feel better about dropping $500 on a perfect vintage Hagström last week.

Sounds like a good nominee for the endangered wood species/Customs watch list/Paperwork PITA item of the day:

http://www.wood-database.com/brazilwood/

3 hours ago, Sugartune said:

Mos Def. So much cork sniffed, that some consider having their nasal passages lined with it. Classy.

The interesting thing about this term is that people who know anything about wine don't sniff corks-you visually inspect them-sniffing is an immediate indication of pretend-pretentiousness.

2 minutes ago, serial said:

The interesting thing about this term is that people who know anything about wine don't sniff corks-you visually inspect them...

Spoken like a true elitist!

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

Spoken like a true elitist!

I learned that waiting tables...

3 hours ago, serial said:

The interesting thing about this term is that people who know anything about wine don't sniff corks-you visually inspect them-sniffing is an immediate indication of pretend-pretentiousness.

That's funny, I don't drink much of any alcohol, just can't get through the taste, but I remember going to a "nice" resturant and having the waiter hand me the cork(like I would "know" what to do with it) and I looked at him all confused, he just smiled and nodded like I knew some secret handshake and I was scared there was secret signal I had just given him. I was looking over my shoulder the rest of the evening.

7 hours ago, Sugartune said:

Mos Def. So much cork sniffed, that some consider having their nasal passages lined with it. Classy.

CorkSniffer.jpg

On 1/25/2017 at 4:56 PM, anotherfreak said:

That's funny, I don't drink much of any alcohol, just can't get through the taste, but I remember going to a "nice" resturant and having the waiter hand me the cork(like I would "know" what to do with it) and I looked at him all confused, he just smiled and nodded like I knew some secret handshake and I was scared there was secret signal I had just given him. I was looking over my shoulder the rest of the evening.

Ah, the wine ritual... I'm terrible at it as well.  Really the whole point is to just make sure that you are getting the right vintage and that it isn't corked, but even if you order a $45 Montepulciano (that cost them $15), they present it as if it were the King of Prussia.  Cracks me up everytime.  

Back when I worked at Spec's, you should have seen how we drank wine when occasionally we had to check a vintage that was rumored to be turning.  The only way to really enjoy wine is to drink it like a damned heathen.  In the words of a grand sommelier with whom I worked, "Don't swirl it!  Pound that shit, bro!"  Killing an expensive bottle of Bordeaux or Pinot Noir as if you are in a frat-house chugg-off with Dionysus himself is something everyone should do once, and I'm not even a huge fan of wine. 

Good times.

Anyway, carry on folks! 

2 hours ago, serial said:

I learned that waiting tables...

I learned that  Sitting at a table full of hardcore jazz musicians when they suddenly found out I was into The Blues.

12 hours ago, polara said:

Owner of the guitar shop down the street is mostly a classical player, and tells me his cellist friend was excited about his $50,000 pernambuco bow.

Makes me feel better about dropping $500 on a perfect vintage Hagström last week.

jesus fucking christ, $50K?? at that price, I would insist on genuine unicorn hair....

Archived