Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Best pinched harmonic.

fasteddie

Question

6 hours ago, hamerhead said:

Eagles (Felder) - Already Gone - right after the line 'Heaven knows it wasn't you who set me free'. Gets me every time.

+1

I love the soloing between Felder and Frey on that tune. And I agree, that pinch harmonic is just perfect.

17 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Anything Zakk Wylde and George Lynch does. 

George is a savant; I never tire of listening to him play.  As for Zakk...does he actually play anything other than pinch harmonics?  😉

23 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

George is a savant; I never tire of listening to him play.  As for Zakk...does he actually play anything other than pinch harmonics?  😉

Nope, but that is kind of his thing. BUT everyone forgets how much Brad Gillis tore it up on Speak of the Devil, before Zakk and Jake. Pinch Harmonix Heaven on that one as well. I had a friend give me that album because he didn't like it, that album (HAD NO IDEA BRAD WAS THE GUITARIST) spoke to me. Brad sounded killer on that one. 

I surely can't be the only person that thinks if you play pinched harmonics all the time, they dilute their impression? Zack plays them so often that his picking style, but throw one it, let it linger and sustain it for 2 or 3 beats vibrato it too...now we're talkin', really talkin.

1 hour ago, bubs_42 said:

Brad Gillis tore it up on Speak of the Devil, before Zakk and Jake. 

And let's not ever forget who tore it up even before Brad...  Mr. Randy frik'n Rhoads... this one still gives me goosebumps 😉

Beginning of second solo, "Comfortably Numb". Not perfect. Probably unintentional.

Gilmour. 

'Nuff said.

-Bobby

On 9/30/2018 at 4:37 AM, gtrdaddy said:

The Reverend Billy Gibbons, pick one, any one, all day long.

^^ This. ^^
As a young guitarist, Tres Hombres was my textbook - and I couldn't rest until I figured out how he was getting that sound. If you hear me doing a pinch harmonic, it's because of that album.

This lesser known Scorps tune is just full of them! 1:38 has natural and pinch combined and then Matthias goes off at 3:52!

I feel sorry for some of the earlier players where good distortion was not as readily available as it became in the 80's with pre amps and processors, lets face it, have you/we/us ever tried a pinched harmonic on a clean setting?🤣 It sounds like we've messed up the tune.

More distortion=easier tricks.

I thank you.

There is a great pinched harmonic in Hotel California during one of the choruses.  It's a fill lick, but oh so musical. At about 3:00

Of course I have to give credit for Gilmour's pinch at the beginning of the Comfortably Numb solo.  That one is so recognizable that I actually memorized where to touch the string to get it right.

And of course the Reverend on La Grange gave us all a great lesson in this.  I would say probably the most important early work in pinch harmonics.  It was sooo cool when he just kept bending up to E over and over and over and moved around  to change the pitch of the harmonic!

Archived