Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Your less-known personal musical inspirations

polara

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ian Crichton of Saga always blows me away.  Robben Ford since his Outlaw Blues single on the little vinyl record in Guitar Player.  Nobody knew who Michael Schenker was, when I was in high school.  Brian Robertson, Scotty Gorham and Gary Moore in Thin Lizzy too.  Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush.  Jim McCarty of Cactus was a monster live.  Tim Renwick is great.  Ian Bairnson of Pilot and Alan Parsons.  Mick Ronson w/ Bowie and Ian Hunter.  Dave Meniketti of Y&T.  And Scott Herderson is fantastic.  

Those come to mind... 

Mike Keneally - great musician, better human.  Played with Zappa on his final tour in 1988, also in Z with Dweezil and Ahmet.  He's been the touring guitarist for Dethklok, and lately he's toured with Joe Satriani on keyboards and guitar.  He covers a lot of musical territory and has an incredible musical mind.  At one point, he was streaming some of his recording sessions.   On one, he was recording a solo and didn't like the timbre, so he said "Let me try that in a different position" and proceeded to just whip it off without have to sort out fingerings or anything.  His solo Inca Roads is a thing of beauty.

Another guy, also known in guitar circles but not really wider - Michael Hedges.  One of the times I saw him, one of the guys near us said, "Is this what it was like to see Hendrix?"  Great compositionally, and unique as a player.  Also could make a cover tune completely his own.

On 10/16/2019 at 2:21 PM, MCChris said:

Brian Robertson, my all-time favorite rock guitarist who played my all-time favorite rock guitar solo:

Brian is always an inspiration. Not that I have even 1% of his talent when it comes to lay down a guitar solo.

Kurt Cobain has been an inspiration, which might sound weird. But his style is just so raw. John Frusciante is in that category too. Just digging in, all levels up. And they can both be soft when needed.  When ever I feel shy because I lack chops or techique I think of Kurt. Let your emotions out, does not matter if it's not all flashy and tight. Just dig in, do your thing.

12 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Glenn Kaiser...a tremendous blues-rock player who falls under the mainstream RNR radar because he records solely in the CHristian music arena. Lots of great electric and acoustic blues albums. Very much Rory influenced in his playing. Tasteful and rockin’!

Yepp, Glenn - but his playing is only second to his voice - man, what a singer!! Got everything REZ and some of his solo stuff. And a great guy! Had the privilege to meet and greet at a REZ concert in Berlin shortly after the wall came down.

Matt Andes with Jo Jo Gunne.  Their album “Jumpin’ The Gunne” is just full of great guitar riffs.  I love his upbeat open-E slide playing.  The coda of the closing track, “Turn The Boy Loose” is a layered, multi-guitar solo masterpiece.

Warren Cuccurullo with Missing Persons.  Can’t go wrong with Zappa alumni.

J.D. Simo

Oli Brown 

Ainsley Lister

come to my mind.

Greatly skilled youngsters, in business for a while, I’d like to see more often.

Ennio Morricone, Danny Elfman & Hans Zimmer.

Movie soundtracks are some intensely dramatic and evocative music style. If you can elicit those same kinds of primal emotion and dynamics, then you got something going on.

50 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

Movie soundtracks are some intensely dramatic and evocative music style. If you can elicit those same kinds of primal emotion and dynamics, then you got something going on.

I’m with you there on all of those.  Sometimes Zimmer really moves you like nothing else musically.  

1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

Agreed and I would also like to add Howard Shore to the list

15 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Agreed and I would also like to add Howard Shore to the list

Got a particular piece by him that really blows one's skirt up?

22 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

Got a particular piece by him that really blows one's skirt up?

Not a particular piece however, I do find myself humming the Lord of the Rings composition parts a lot lately... bump bump bump bump bump do dee do~  bump bump bump bump bump bump bump... soft woodwind~~~ 😆

On 10/16/2019 at 8:20 PM, ARM OF HAMER said:

Did you know he did this one?

I alway’s thought Richie Sanbora played all of Bon Jovi’s rides. Thanks !!!

Stumbled into a local watering hole when I first moved out here and came across this WineSkin band.  I thought "dang... they're really good."  I ended up running into the guitar player and got to know him a little - first name basis - Evan Walton.  Nice guy.  I really like how his playing is so lyrical and his phrasing is just right.  He took no formal lessons.  Great ear and a willingness to spend time in the woodshed.  He ended up involved in real estate and occasionally plays with the band. But in the past he had eye for local talent...

In Dallas in the late 70s to mid 80s Rocky Athas and his band Lightning were the next big thing. I worked w/ their mid 80s drummer so I saw them a bunch. Much like Gary Moore, Rocky dropped the hard rawk vibe and went straight blues in the 90s, ending up playing w/ John Mayall. I couldn't find any 80s stuff, but they used to cover Little Wing back then;

On 10/16/2019 at 8:21 AM, MCChris said:

Brian Robertson, my all-time favorite rock guitarist who played my all-time favorite rock guitar solo:

Always loved his playing.  I went to 2 Thin Lizzy shows back in the day hoping to catch him live.

Each time, he had been replaced because of an injury.  One time it was rumored he'd been in a

fight and hurt his hand.  Both times, his replacement was Gary Moore, so no real harm done!

On 10/17/2019 at 10:55 AM, princeofdarkness56 said:

Mike Pinera. Played with a lot of bands. 
Andrew Duck McDonald. Later years of Blue Cheer. Very heavy stuff. 

Oh man, thanks for the memory!  One of my very first concerts--we're talking around 1969 or so, 

Blues Image!  Had no idea who they were.  Maybe they opened for Iron Butterfly, can't remember,

but I'll never forget Blues Image.  Mike absolutely crushed it!

Mike played with Iron Butterfly later on. And Cactus, Ramatam, some solo stuff and a few years with Alice Cooper. If you have that Blues Image album with Ride Captain Ride, you know the album version has about a extra minute at the end with a extended guitar solo that is great. It always gets cut from the radio version and just torques me out. He also sang lead on that song. Very under appreciated talent. 

Archived