Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What pick/plectrum do you prefer?

Biz Prof

Question

I've gotten so accustomed to using my fingers that I've really not needed to purchase any picks beyond what has been in my stash. My old standby, for over 20 years, has been the 1.0 mm Hi Modulus "Reefer" picks. Since those were apparently out of production for some time until Pickboy took over the design, my chewed up collection has been due for replacement. I'd been intrigued by Dunlop's Ultex ever since it hit the market a few years ago. Bought a pack today and discovered that I really like them; in fact, I feel more fleet fingered using one.

So, other than God-given digits, what is your preferred plectrum and what makes it stand out?

• Answers 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunlop Tortex .88 for regular playing. They sound good and last.

For recording I like Fender Extra Heavys (I don't use them otherwise because they get groves on them, but they "sound" the best).

​I love the sound of a vibrating string screeching when it meets a hard object. Like twisting a cracked piece of glass.

For acoustic the dunlop Ulex are great . They can add just that little extra zing in the top end to a set of strings that should be changed . A little extra life for those of us who would rather play then change strings . For electric I still use the green Dunlop Tortex .

For the longest time I used Dunlop Gator Grips (.71mm or .96mm for guitar, and 2.0mm for bass), but a few weeks backed I happened to pick a Dunlop Delrin out of my ziploc bag and really dug it. They're my goto now (1.5mm) for guitar. Maybe it's the color ;)

mGGbSfu8gePUcqHxh0M13Xw.jpg

ETA: Chris' pick selection alone screams "this guy's a riot!" Serious pick envy over here!! (is that even a thing)?

I am a convert to the V-picks. That 1980 is a good one, but I am a fan of the Dimension Jr. Which is about half again as thick as the already thick 1980. Last I bought something from Vinnie, he tossed in a "Nexus" (Twice as thick as the 1980!) as a freebie. Apparently his son designed it. Never thought I would like it......Triangular shape and about 5/16" thick(!!) Man, it is like putting a fat boost on the guitar! Notes "explode". And not that hard to get used to.

BTW, I think he is still running a special price on the Dimension.....Or at least one variety of that pick.

Also, I was bothered by the clear material and how hard it is to find when dropped......Get some of those brightly colored star stickers your 1st grade teacher used to put on your homework at the office supply store.

Dunlop Jazz III red or the Eric Johnson version when I can get them - I really like those. Have been playing with the black and the white Jazz III tortex or whatever material lately as well. I tried the Jazz III XL in white but thought they were too thick. In a pinch I'll grab the old 88 green tortex picks as well

The V picks really are great, but they're too expensive to wear out if you do any kind of pick-scraping. I started out with the Fender medium tortoise-shell picks, tried a ton of other stuff, and I keep going back to those Fender mediums. What I REALLY liked were the Fender Medium Stainless-Steel picks. The ONLY reason I don't use those all the time is because they shred my strings, but they have an awesome bite and they just grab the strings and seem (if only in my mind) to make my picking much more accurate.

Recently I switched over to the .90 mm Ultex Sharp from the 1.14 mm ones for guitar, which doesn't seem like a huge change, but I really dig. For bass I usually grab the 1.14 Tortex TIIIs, but I like using that Ultex pick too for more of a Carol Kaye, Paul McCartney type sound. Either way, the Jazz-style tip on a normal sized pick was a revelation for me when they came out!

V picks traditional lite.

Since Lonel posted about them here I have never looked back. They're bastards to find when you drop them though!

Thanks for recommending these. I picked up several Screamers based off this post and love them. Never would have guessed I'd like a pick this big if not for this thread.

V-picks are nice, but I can't find mine. Seriously.

So I went back to my tried and true Dunlop Tortex Jazz III, .88mm. Bought 72 of them for $16; I remember some place in Boston when I was in college charging me $1 for one pick. or $0.50. Either way, something stupid ridiculous.

Cool picks--- thin--- I grip lightly and have "dryish" skin--- these have a touch of latex (or sandpaper if you prefer) that keep the pick from slipping or even more important , shifting, and the ensuing repositioning-wrench in the gears- fiddling.

I have a ton of the EJ Jazz III's & the Ibanez Paul Gilbert pics, I'll use the green Tortex, and I have them in a Jazz III size as well, I have been liking the old Adamas graphite pics, and sometimes the yellow Tortex for acoustic strumming. all the different voices in my head are different pics :)

Favorite pick? Those Fender triangular picks or whatever I find in the case. I really liked those Hamer picks that cmatthes sent to me a couple years ago. I think a former bandmate took 'em. Bastard, always needed to "borrow a pick" as he was shuffling thru my case. Kinda like when you are playing golf. There's always one guy who wants to borrow a tee or borrow a ball mark.

Cheers!

caddie

I've switched to a delrin Jazz III picks. Unfortunately I can only find them as a signature pick. I've tried Dunlop's delrin fusion picks that have the Jazz III tip and a typical teardrop top. They are okay and less expensive and I can include them in a string order. The signature picks are over a buck each after shipping.

V picks traditional lite.

Since Lonel posted about them here I have never looked back. They're bastards to find when you drop them though!

+1 and due to the same post as well :)

Been playing with BlueChip picks for a few months. Love 'em. Really love 'em: the grip, the bevel, the attack, and that they just don't wear. I have three TDs (35, 40, and 60), and a TAD60-1R. Best ever.

Stupid expensive. If you lose picks, don't even think about these. These would bankrupt Rick Nielsen.

<now sits and waits for flames by folks offended by the mere notion of a $35 pick>

I ALSO like the original DAVA control picks, Dunlop Ultex and PrimeTone (which appear to be an attempt to mimic BlueChips, and are fine, but a different ballpark), and Tusq picks (although they wear very quickly). I also like D'Andrea ProPlecs, 1.5mm after taking a file and sandpaper to 'em and add a right handed speed bevel. But these also wear pretty fast.

But BlueChips are my favorite.

Archived