Hamer Fan Club Message Center

So, I retired and did a 'thing'...

Nice!!! That's gotta feel really good to be able to do. Obviously you'll share your guitar with us when it's done but please share in the lead up to its arrival too see we can be excited for you.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, santellavision said:

It's been a wild couple of months here!

Last week was my last day working. I closed my Video Production business after 38 years (45 years total in the Television/video industry). My wife is still working a little longer. She is lucky to be able to work 100% remote for her company. And, we moved. A couple of years ago, we purchased a couple of acres overlooking the Organ mountains with the plan to build our dream home. We sold our house in Colorado and moved to Las Cruces, NM! I've lived in Denver for 40 years. It was a great city for most of that, but not anymore. It's fallen to all the ugliness/prices of most big cities. Plus, we just couldn't deal with snow and cold anymore. 

Lot3.jpg

Now the fun part of the story. My last official job was working in Nashville. So, I had a plan to go to the Gibson Garage. And, as a retirement gift to myself, I ordered a Custom Shop Lester! I was with a couple of guitar player friends. One worked there, so, we got some 'extra special' treatment, OMG! What a fun time working with them designing and building the perfect '59 Murphy Lab Les Paul guitar for me. I brought some sample pics and their Custom shop guy Dylan, found me the perfect, insane flame top. We went with a Dirty Lemon Burst to bring out the flame. I tried all the neck carve sizes and picked the V2 neck carve, slightly smaller than vintage '59 neck. Grovers, instead of Klusons, my choice, Murphy Lab Ultra Light aging. When you get the Murphy Lab team involved, they hand-do the aging and what was more important to me, they do extra fret-edge rolling beyond what the regular Custom Shop does for a super comfy feel. 

If you order it at the Garage, it's only about a 6 month wait. Not too bad. I am so stoked!!!

GG2.jpgGG1.jpg

Then, we got a tour of the secret 'vault'. Lots of very cool, one-of-a-kind vintage axes. And, more than that, they have all kinds of interesting artifacts like original Gibson Patents, the original Les Paul body template etc. All kinds of wacky stuff! 
GG3.jpg

Coooool. 

• Like 1

Kudos on retirement; be sure to stay active to enjoy and extend it. My turn was end of 2015. My retirement gift to myself was a bucket list trip that included Tucson (Pima Air & Space Museum), Las Cruces, White Sands National Park, White Sands Missile Base, Alamogordo, the Trinity Site, Truth or Consequences (spaceport), Albuquerque, and Los Alamos. There was a Border Patrol checkpoint between Las Cruces and Alamogordo.

Plus, I bought a new car (had the previous one 12 years). Thought about ordering a new guitar as well but that wouldn't make much sense since i started liquidating the bulk of my collection, which had been a type of investment portfolio with pickups and strings.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, santellavision said:

A couple of years ago, we purchased a couple of acres overlooking the Organ mountains with the plan to build our dream home.

That's awesome, congrats! Not sure I'm familiar with the "Organ" mountains tho... Where are they? 😂

My daughter has lived in Thornton for over 30 years, and the area has changed a lot in that time. I don't care for Denver at all.

• Like 2

Very, very cool!  Beautiful area out there and can’t wait to see the big unveiling of your new Lester when it’s done. 

• Like 2

Congrats!  Keep an eye on your indoor humidity, I was stationed at Twentynine Stumps in California for a few years, and it gets plenty dry in the desert.  Also, keep your small pets indoors, coyotes like to chase them down and eat 'em.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, santellavision said:

Just to the East of Las Cruces, NM.  They are pretty spectacular.

They ARE spectacular! I have to admit that I thought I was making a friendly jab at the Oregon mountains when I typed that.

Again, congrats on the entire kaboodle! That's a lot of change!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, santellavision said:

It's been a wild couple of months here!

Last week was my last day working. I closed my Video Production business after 38 years (45 years total in the Television/video industry). My wife is still working a little longer. She is lucky to be able to work 100% remote for her company. And, we moved. A couple of years ago, we purchased a couple of acres overlooking the Organ mountains with the plan to build our dream home. We sold our house in Colorado and moved to Las Cruces, NM! I've lived in Denver for 40 years. It was a great city for most of that, but not anymore. It's fallen to all the ugliness/prices of most big cities. Plus, we just couldn't deal with snow and cold anymore. 

Lot3.jpg

Now the fun part of the story. My last official job was working in Nashville. So, I had a plan to go to the Gibson Garage. And, as a retirement gift to myself, I ordered a Custom Shop Lester! I was with a couple of guitar player friends. One worked there, so, we got some 'extra special' treatment, OMG! What a fun time working with them designing and building the perfect '59 Murphy Lab Les Paul guitar for me. I brought some sample pics and their Custom shop guy Dylan, found me the perfect, insane flame top. We went with a Dirty Lemon Burst to bring out the flame. I tried all the neck carve sizes and picked the V2 neck carve, slightly smaller than vintage '59 neck. Grovers, instead of Klusons, my choice, Murphy Lab Ultra Light aging. When you get the Murphy Lab team involved, they hand-do the aging and what was more important to me, they do extra fret-edge rolling beyond what the regular Custom Shop does for a super comfy feel. 

If you order it at the Garage, it's only about a 6 month wait. Not too bad. I am so stoked!!!

GG2.jpgGG1.jpg

Then, we got a tour of the secret 'vault'. Lots of very cool, one-of-a-kind vintage axes. And, more than that, they have all kinds of interesting artifacts like original Gibson Patents, the original Les Paul body template etc. All kinds of wacky stuff! 
GG3.jpg

Congrats! Your going to love retirement I did it in Aug. 2019 and have been living the dream ever since. A new guitar made just for you seems appropriate. Enjoy!

Edited by ARM OF HAMER
  • Like 2

Chile green with envy, Von and I have been trekking to Las Cruces annually since we discovered it a few years ago. We get an air B&B in those same foothills of the Organs and I paint guitars while I'm there - nice to not worry about humidity blushing nitro. We too have talked about buying a small tract for a retirement home.

Next time we go, I'll teach you how to spray headstocks, then the four of us can hit La Posta in old Mesilla. :)

• Like 5

On 1/19/2024 at 5:44 PM, santellavision said:

Just to the East of Las Cruces, NM.  They are pretty spectacular.

il_1140xN.2592597488_by57.jpg

Is that your view? Enjoy the next part of your journey. Can’t wait to see your new beast. 

• Like 1

Hope you enjoy your retirement.  I am mostly enjoying mine.  Similar situation as me, where my wife is still working.  You have to have some hobbies and I have a few, but adjusting to the lack of a schedule, or at the very least a change of schedule takes some time.  But if you are comfortable doing nothing then... thumbs up!

i-couldnt-stand-being-a-girl-v0-0r4w79s08mhb1.jpg.webp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

On 1/19/2024 at 5:55 PM, santellavision said:

Sounds awesome! We love La Posta!

My family lived in Las Cruces when I was in grade school and still have memories of La Posta!  After living in the DC/Baltimore area, Larry and I moved to Rio Rancho NM almost 7 years ago.  Best decision we ever made actually.  We love New Mexico so much.  Congrats on the move and the Les Paul.

Edited by jisham
  • Like 3

Congrats on your retirement and your retirement gift.  Ditto on the request to see updates on the Lester sounds great! 

That is a lot of change!  As I told my kids if you can manage change you will be successful. As Rocking Rod you say “and you wear  it well.”  

Again Congrats ! 

Hamerica

• Like 1

As I sit here I am hoping that I am about three years out from retiring while the wife works a little while more.  So, quite cheerfully envious that you are already there!  Congrats and enjoy being only as busy as you want to be.

I am 2-3 years away…..from retirement…..congrats on your incoming LP and on a lifetime of work. May God grant you a long and happy retirement!

• Like 1

Congratulations on the retirement and move!  I love the southwest US and really envy that backyard view pic (if that's what it was).  I think it was in Sedona that I took some pics just like the one you posted looking down into the city.  Just beautiful scenery.

I am coming up on 3 years retired myself.  When I pulled the trigger I thought I would do some reorganizing/purging for a few months and then get some little part-time job.  Still haven't done it.  I have two bands, neither of which is very active but both of which are a lot of fun and I'm traveling more so that's enough for me.  My retirement gift to myself was going to be some kind of Nash guitar (my wife's maiden name) but I never even looked for one.  Now I have hearing problems and arthritis so I doubt I'll ever get another guitar (that makes it sound like I'm ancient - I'm 59!).  In fact, I should be getting rid of them but I haven't started that process yet.

Enjoy your guitar, your new home, and your retirement!

• Like 1

My wife and I are starting to think about where we want to retire. My in-laws live in a very nice part of Tucson, but we don't think that's the right town for us. We thought about Santa Fe for a bit, but she crossed it off the list after she went there for a work conference. I'll have to look into Las Cruces, that pic looks stunning. Sad to hear that Denver's gone downhill, as I'm still thinking somewhere in Colorado might be interesting. I kinda like the thought of still having 4 seasons.

Anyway, congrats on retirement, and on the killer LP. Enjoy both!